Trump's VP pick widens the ideological gap

I see what you did there.

10 Likes

In 2016, J.D. Vance informally launched his political career with “Hillbilly Elegy,” a memoir that blames the relative poverty of Appalachian and Rust Belt populations on their own culture. Despite its reactionary premise, mainstream and liberal press outlets were so enamored by the book that they accidentally made Vance a senator.

15 Likes

Stew Peters didn’t get the memo that Vance’s wife is acceptable because of imagined descent from Alexander the Great’s soldiers or whatever else you can conjure up to make her white enough.

As Hari Kunzru says, the book appealed to masochistic liberals who wanted to be told that welfare was useless and the prejudices of the “white working class” should be respected.

4 Likes

Well, like Jindal and Haley, she’ll likely be brown when Republicans want to use her to show that he couldn’t possibly be racist because look who she’s married to, and pretty much an honorary, likely Christian, white person otherwise, as her brown-ness fades into supposed race-free (like “white”) insignificance.

It’s complicated. In a piece on the relative success of Asian Americans of Indian descent, the editors of n + 1 wrote a while ago,

We should be troubled by the success of desi politicians in the American South, home of the white-supremacist theocracy. (Both Jindal and Haley happen to be converts to Christianity.) The accession to power isn’t a sign of a Republican Party more hospitable to minorities; rather it’s a reflection of a minority for whom race is nothing but expediency. We will be ethnic when you want us to be, but we can slip right out of it when the blacks come to call. Hacks like Jindal and Haley have risen in the party through their brownness, which they disavow except when exploiting it. No one lives in a postracial America, but we desis have mostly enjoyed a postbrown existence that looks like one; “brown” solidarity has often amounted to desi professionals forming business associations to better exploit workers.

15 Likes

Vance is apparently a big fan of this guy. That’s a little frightening.

9 Likes

Defunct Economics Gun rights

Right-wing subjects always make the Wikipedia onebox glitch accurate.

11 Likes

Mencius Moldbug is a ■■■■.

9 Likes

That picture just screams two things: 1. Look at me! I’m an INTELLECTUAL! 2. Punch the shit out of me, please.

17 Likes

Sopii kuin nyrkki silmään.

7 Likes

Also, based on this image from the article I posted above:

1. “I will never be photographed in profile again!”

6 Likes

Ecce homo superus.

9 Likes

Yarvin disputes accusations of racism,[54] and in his essays, “Why I am not a White Nationalist” and “Why I am not an Anti-Semite,” he offered a somewhat sympathetic analysis of those ideologies before ultimately rejecting them.[5]

He has Jewish ancestry on his father’s side.

4 Likes

That just makes him another kapo pushing racist pseudo-science.

12 Likes

I missed your earlier comment.

Happy Coke Zero GIF by Coca-Cola

8 Likes

Curtis_Yarvin_on_Philosophy_of_Art_&_Science

3 Likes

I’m so fucking scared - and I’m not even USian!

11 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

Oh, and David Lammy calls Vance a friend.

9 Likes

As an aside, WTF sort of characterisation is

Screen Shot 2024-07-16 at 14.06.01

They share them? What, they take turns?

9 Likes

David Lammy is a useless fascist shithead?

Sexy Cbs GIF by Paramount+

8 Likes

“Lord Yarvin, only you could be so mold.”

6 Likes