Tucker Carlson says hurricanes are scams — unless they're headed towards his house

It would be a shame if his workshop gets swept away, but at least he has photographic proof for the insurance.

10 Likes

For Tucker the “scam” is the idea that we should care about things that happen to other people

12 Likes

I guess since most Americans probably know it from someone who is British (Ian Curtis, Ian Anderson, Ian Holm, Ian Mckellen, etc) the assumption is on waspiness… But as you say… Celtic! Some of the people colonized by wankers!

11 Likes

Scam Fah GIF by FoilArmsandHog

14 Likes

I’ll settle for flooding to the top of the circuit breaker box deep.

7 Likes

We must inquire about all of these illegitimately large hurricanes: Where are the fathers???
/s

3 Likes

Fuckhead Carlson:

16 Likes

Expect some brand upgrading while he’s filling out those forms because ‘everything floated away but it wasn’t Craftsman! Grizzly. It was Grizzly, Delta, Festool…’

2 Likes

And the “Caravans”- don’t forget the constant harping they did about those awful “Caravans”.

9 Likes

ian paisley.

3 Likes

I’m not sure that he still has the workshop. No doubt they can recreate one if he needs it.

8 Likes

@_@ Hope you and all your positive connections are safe and sound!

5 Likes

Probably CGI.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m beginning to detect a trend on how self-described theocratic fascists approach the climate emergency.

14 Likes

I think it’s a telling sign of the times. Denial has been the Right’s only argument against climate change. The science is overwhelming and they know it, so they can’t win on facts. Thus they simply deny. However climate change is no longer an abstract argument about the future. We’re seeing bigger and more frequent storms as was predicted. That puts them in the position of having to deny actual physical things happening outside the window because it’s their only move left.

When denial is your only tool, you deny gravity exists as you fall off the cliff, and deny the earth as your last act of sudden deceleration upon it.

15 Likes

Careful there- that brush with which you paint is too broad.

Private American media is prone to this problem in recent years, yes. Prior to that, codes of ethics taught in journalism school largely prevented this. There’s a reason we have the terms “yellow journalism” and “tabloid journalism”. They are to distinguish what you describe from normal journalism. Normal journalism still exists.

Most notably, in the form of public media like NPR, CBC, BBC, PBS, and ProPublica, all of which still do excellent reporting on most things*. Removal of the profit motive is a powerful tool to keep journalistic ethics intact long term, but it’s not the only way. America did it for decades with a simple application of ethical education.

*I am not claiming any of those services are perfect, so please save all subsequent straw men for another thread.

9 Likes

Lazy choice of words on my part, I should have perhaps specified “big media” or “corporate news media.”

5 Likes

I don’t have the Google-fu today, but IIRC this was forecast in the 80s and 90s in the Exxon internal memos. The memos pointed out that by roughly 2020, PR based on denial would no longer work because the signs would be obvious.

There isn’t an English word for how I feel about memos calmly discussing how to lock in mega- to gigadeaths in order to preserve shareholder value.

7 Likes

Sadly, it seems they overestimated a certain segment of the public. :unamused:

6 Likes