Tucker Carlson's college yearbook says he was part of the “Dan White Society.” Dan White murdered Harvey Milk in 1978

Originally published at: Tucker Carlson's college yearbook says he was part of the "Dan White Society." Dan White murdered Harvey Milk in 1978 | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Fun fact: Dan White was once an officer with the SFPD but left the force to become a firefighter shortly after reporting one of his colleagues for beating a handcuffed Black prisoner.

So even cold-blooded double murdering bastard Dan White cared more about racist police violence than Tucker Carlson.

45 Likes

Also, if I’m remembering correctly, the murder was not motivated by Milk’s sexual orientation, but by politics? Not that that makes it any better… I doubt Carlson would be aware of that fact, and just thought White was doing a solid for straight white men the world over.

29 Likes

Previously I was only familier with Jesse Helms from a line in “Folksong” by Bongwater.

"… or maybe you’d like to put a bullet into Jesse
Helms peabrain but you know when you start thinking
like that, when you start thinking like they do, then
it’s time to let go of the material world, so
maybe you’d like to get yourself some religion 'cause,
“Jesus is the Way, Jesus is the Way, Jesus is the
Way, Jesus is the Way, Jesus is the Way.”

…Besides, it’s a lot easier to accept Jesus Christ
as your personal Lord and Savior when He looks like Willem DaFoe."

That last bit is obviously true.

13 Likes

32 Likes

That’s an odd way of saying the guy likes his Twinkies.

12 Likes

The true horror of that image lies in realizing that Dad is reaching for the hat, not throwing it away.

18 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if homophobia played a role in the murders but it didn’t appear to be White’s primary motive or he would have killed Milk first instead of Mayor Moscone.

In any case homophobia was almost certainly the reason White got off with such a light sentence and why assholes like Tucker Carlson tried to make White into a hero.

29 Likes

Harvey Milk in 1977 won a seat as a SF city supervisor. We had a Home Ec. [Sonoma County] female teacher from the city originally go postal to the point of being suspended. I saw first hand the homophobic monster in a person, truly a disgusting human being. I can still see her blood raged face screaming at the class, f’ing white privileged bible thumping lunatic.

25 Likes

Sure, all true.

Most certainly!

20 Likes

It would not surprise me if this was a prank by the yearbook staff. The write-ups don’t look like student-submitted content.

1 Like

[2] Anne Kronenberg, his final campaign manager, wrote of him: “What set Harvey apart from you or me was that he was a visionary. He imagined a righteous world inside his head and then he set about to create it for real, for all of us.”[3] Milk was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2009.

May we all be lucky enough to get another Harvey, hopefully soon, we need good people like that.

25 Likes

If it was a prank his fellow students knew exactly what kind of bigot the smug little twit was.

28 Likes

Imagine hating gay people so much that you’d forgive the murder of a cishet white male as long as the killer targeted a gay man shortly afterwards. It’s almost beyond comprehension.

22 Likes

And often, the people who are so filled with that hate position themselves as good Christians, too. Jesus wept.

17 Likes

??? Wouldn’t the yearbook staff also be students? And wouldn’t they get in some degree of trouble for doing such?

10 Likes

I was one of those nerds on the yearbook staff. That’s not the kind of thing that would have flown at my school.

Occam’s Razor says the guy who built a career saying horrible bigoted things on national television was already a horrible bigot as a young man.

26 Likes

Agreed, but needs more scare quotes. :wink:

4 Likes

nosf

10 Likes

From what I’ve read, White had supported most of Milk’s proposals and White’s campaign manager, who is gay, said homophobia had nothing to do with it. Regardless of White’s motivations, however, I think homophobia was certainly a factor in Carlson’s motivation for lionizing Dan White’s murders

13 Likes