Twitter engineers say Musk doesn't know wtf he's talking about

Astronauts might want to think about the relationships between Musk and his workers before they climb aboard one of his rockets.

24 Likes
15 Likes
6 Likes

He has ideas, see if you can follow along. He’s gonna need more engineers.

In the transcript at The Verge he also talks about competing with YouTube and TikTok.

I think there’s this transformative opportunity in payments. And payments really are just the exchange of information. From an information standpoint, not a huge difference between, say, just sending a direct message and sending a payment. They are basically the same thing. In principle, you can use a direct messaging stack for payments. And so that’s definitely a direction we’re going to go in, enabling people on Twitter to be able to send money anywhere in the world instantly and in real time. We just want to make it as useful as possible.

If you can simply have one balance on Twitter that can simply go positive or a negative, and when it goes positive, the interest rate is better than what you could receive elsewhere, and when it goes negative, the interest rate is lower than what you see elsewhere, now you have a much simpler system.

Then you attach a debit card to the Twitter account so that you have backward compatibility into the payments system because not everyone will accept Twitter. So if they have above a certain balance, you automatically send people a debit card. You want backward compatibility to the existing financial infrastructure.

In the US, there’s still a small number of checks that are used. So if your landlord is demanding that you send a check, you have to have some non-zero number of checks. Then we would send a small number of checks to those that need to have checks. Then you add automatic payment. Then over time, you basically address what are all the things that you’d want from a finance standpoint. And if you address all things that you want from a finance standpoint, then we will be the people’s financial institution.

5 Likes

Brilliant! Now all Musk needs to do is find a few hundred million people who have enough faith in the safety and stability of Twitter to entrust the company with their finances.

23 Likes

Good grief.

From what I’ve read, there are going to be FTC compliance issues and now he is proposing to become a bank-like entity.

He has no clue.

24 Likes

“… everything I’m doing is just jokes you don’t get”

11 Likes

He thinks he’s still running PayPal

Everything is PayPal now, and it’s always 2002

22 Likes

Been feeling more like he has an anti-clue.

16 Likes

“to musk up”, v.: to utterly mismanage something. Also, to destroy.

Examples:

“Boy, I really musked that one up.”

“Scratched? It’s totally musked-up, man! Dad’s gonna kill me!”

17 Likes

35 Likes

That’s the thing, he never ran paypal. He ran X.com when it got acquired by others, and then got fired and got a big golden parachute.

His whole “I ran paypal” thing is a joke and a lie, but the internet has just … forgotten that and snowed it under with everything else.

20 Likes

“The man responsible for the sacking, has been sacked.”

26 Likes

yeah, what he’s really probably referring to is fetching json using xml http requests. granted, those would likely all be purely gets, so they wouldn’t be executing a “procedure” to produce a side effect anywhere.

now, what would “batching” those mean? who knows. maybe consolidating those requests? but that can be bad if pieces can be cached, especially on edges where many users might be asking for the same data

whenever a boss or client uses wrong terminology, i generally try to hear what they mean rather than what they say. they’re not technical, so no big deal. but when your boss is making up excuses and telling the world - incorrectly! - what the supposed problem is, and then laying blame?

from that point on, they’re on their own…

19 Likes

It’s firings all the way up?

7 Likes

Perhaps after he couldn’t back out of the deal he realized the only way to make the deal work is to bankrupt twitter. So he’s having fun riding it all the way to the bottom.

Not sure how twitter could ever service the debt he took on to buy it.

1 Like

Well he did bring in a new sink, so perhaps he does have an antique loo.

(I’ll get my coat.)

14 Likes

He wouldn’t have sold Tesla stock to put into it if that were the case. Musk may pretend he’s having fun…he really tries to look like everything is a big joke to him…but this is apparently him doing his best.

15 Likes

I totally believe that Twitter’s technology is a dysfunctional rat’s nest. The quantity of engineers relative to the modest scale of what it does – and that fact that for years it was so buggy that its downtime had its own recognizable brand – suggest that it’s probably a bottomless pit of technical debt.

That still doesn’t mean Elon Musk knows anything. If he had any competence in the subject, he wouldn’t be using gratuitous jargon. That’s just not how competent people speak. It’s how gobshites on reddit fake authority.

And, I genuinely don’t know, but has there ever been any evidence of him having engineering ability whatsoever? Is there a single line of code, CAD drawing, or calculation that he did himself? Or is he just someone who likes being around technical stuff, like anyone picked at random from a Star Trek convention?

It’s fine if he’s not an engineer. Not everyone has to be. Perhaps his thing is being a great CEO. Except… well.

22 Likes

I think the last time I head it used was in the context of a debate about XMLRPC vs SOAP and which was better. (This was in the days before either REST or JSON were common.) The answer even back then was a simple, neither.

7 Likes