Twitter hides Trump tweet calling for "THUGS" to be shot

So did Trump just threaten federal martial law? Get the fuck out of here with that.

5 Likes

I’m happy to take your word for it that that’s the case (at least in the USA), but I’m not comfortable with letting white supremacists control word usage. I don’t think ‘thug’ is in my everyday vocabulary anyway, but I wouldn’t avoid it solely because white supremacists have somehow claimed it.

Thanks for explaining, I didn’t assume either way really, just doing some further clarifying of my own. Especially in light of a lot of people these days being anxious to explain the obvious, that words have different meanings in other contexts.

9 Likes

Then there’s this:

9 Likes

Oof.

I don’t think anyone is denying the word has different meanings in other contexts. But my dude, please look again at the title of this post/thread.

21 Likes

Forgive us for doing that in a post about a right-wing American politician’s use of the term.

23 Likes

Yeah - I saw this. Is he an anarchist or just really hates Autozone? Or a cop trying to pop shit off. I would really like to learn the out come up this one.

5 Likes

No. We are discussing an american president using the word “thug” in reference to individuals, many of color, protesting police murdering a black man and law enfocement doing nothing about it. This is an american centric situation.
In this context, used by that person, the term is racist. That racist asshole may not have consciously* used it as a substitute for the n-word, but subconsciously, in the circles he moves in, that’s what it means. For white “of course I’m not racist!” politically conservative people, that’s a pejorative term for black men.
How it is used elsewhere is competely irrelevant.

*I’m not sure that particular shit stain is capable of conscious thought.

19 Likes

People really should stop using this word for company policies.

5 Likes

two things here.

1. we are taking about the President of the United States referencing US citizens in a US city in a US state. So yes…it is rather focused on America…because reasons.

2. The term in both Hockey and Soccer is not thug…it is goon or enforcer.

11 Likes

Yup.

Violent white people are lone wolves and aberrations thst we need to find excuses for. Probably damaged or abused. Victims, you know.

Black people are thugs for merely existing.

Sticking to the prescriptivist, originalist version erases the violence invoked by the modern use of the term.

Language evolves. How words are invoked has always been more important than the dictionary definition.

22 Likes

Surprised he hasn’t mentioned Hilary / emails / #obamagate yet

6 Likes

“Uppity” is another one

10 Likes
24 Likes

Yeah- I’d agree with that usage for racists.

The thing is, unlike the term “uppity”, which I consider is a word only used by racists, the term “thug” I personally never associated with any particular skin color- so suddenly, what I see is that now Trump is using it, and so now suddenly it’s a word that is only capable of having racist intent.

To be clear- I really don’t care to defend the word thug, but I find it confusing, personally, that suddenly a word in common usage means something different to me than others here. I’ve lost count of how much language has changed in meaning in the last decade.

Edit:

exactly, didn’t see that until after I posted this.

Edit 2- Now that I think about it, I do think Trump is using the word here in a racist way. The variables line up, given his history, and specifically the crowd he is disparaging.

I do think the word has accepted other intent, but in this case, he means it in a racist way.

1 Like

What do pubic wigs from the 19th century designed to hide the scars of syphilis have to do with any of this?

I mean, I know Trump made his family fortune originally from houses of prostitution, but that’s a bit of a stretch

5 Likes

syphlitic pubic wig seems pretty apropos of the current Head of State, come to think of it. Only he’s wearing it on his head

4 Likes

Please stand by. This is test. This is only a test.

6 Likes

Christ, what a Very Fine Person…

5 Likes

You know that everyone knows what “thugs” means when you can call for the extrajudicial termination of the thugs dishonoring the memory of George Floyd and not have the local police union and DA expressing concern about you trampling on their due process rights, since they are the rather more sensible target for an inflammatory but understandable suggestion about shooting a few perps.

2 Likes