Twitter hides Trump tweet calling for "THUGS" to be shot

Oh come on. I’m not USian either but this was uttered by an American for an American audience. Obviously he meant it as a barely concealed dog whistle.

12 Likes

To all social media companies: Don’t mess about - just bar the orange idiot. He craves attention and being centre stage and this is playing right into his hands.

10 Likes

The word has racist implications from the get-go.

Thuggee

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

Thuggee Group of Thugs.gif\ 250x116

Group of Thugs around 1894
Founded Unknown[1]
Named after Sanskrit word for concealment[2]
Founding location Central India and Bengal
Years active Unknown
Territory Indian subcontinent
Membership unknown
Activities Murder, robbery
Rivals British Raj

Thuggee (UK: /θʌˈɡiː/, US: /ˈθʌɡi/) refers to the acts of Thugs , an organised gang of professional robbers and murderers. The English language word thug traces its roots to the Hindi ठग ( ṭhag ), which means ‘swindler’ or ‘deceiver’. Related words are the verb thugna (‘to deceive’), from the Sanskrit स्थग ( sthagacunning, sly, fraudulent’) and स्थगति ( sthagati , ‘he conceals’).[3] This term, describing the murder and robbery of travellers, was popular in the northern parts of the Indian subcontinent and particularly India.

Arising from the British Raj in India. Not the most enlightened of time?

17 Likes

I knew it was bad, but that bad…? With his consistently shitty polls, is he really, actually going for the civil war option now?

7 Likes

Maybe he needs help. Come on Twitter, help him! He needs an intervention!

1 Like

There isn’t anything about Warden Trump’s tweet that isn’t beyond fucked up. He must go.

1 Like

I always love a bit of etymology. But yeah, context, context, context.

I think that you missed a spot, “manifestly unfit”.

3 Likes

The indifferent expression on policeman’s face tells it all. It’s not the first time he’s doing that.

4 Likes

“…These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd”

As if he ever in his whole life ever gave a fuck for any person of color.

15 Likes

Is that indifference? I’m not particularly good at reading faces, but to me that looks like a man who enjoys what he is doing.

1 Like

You’re right, it’s more like that. That face could be a personification of the current system of white supremacy/racial oppression.

1 Like

Sorry, I was going off of the article title saying they hid it. If so, that’s closer to censoring than just slapping a fact check link below the tweet, like what set of His Yugeness in the first place.

Amazing the things our demented toddler-in-chief actually remembers. In general he’s got no memory, but he remembers something a racist cop said back in the '60s… that’s the kind of thing that sticks with him.

12 Likes

"Trump said he was not aware of the history of the phrase, which dates back to U.S. police crackdowns on civil rights in the 1960s. "

7 Likes

Absolutist arguement is not a style befitting people of high intelligence. When someone starts speaking to me in absolutes, I normally walk away, because they cannot be reasoned with any longer.

It also makes me a lot less likely to take anything they say in the future seriously.

If you read above, I’ve come to the conclusion here this was meant from him in a racist manner.

Before this incident, I had no real formulation around this word somehow being implicitly racist. Say whatever you want about that, but I framed it in benign terms of negative, from old batman shows and cartoons. The only place I’d honestly ever seen it used, along with the terms goons, henchmen, etc.

1 Like

Clearly it was something he heard in context, and even if he forgot the origin, that was still a sentiment he remembered positively, which really says it all.

8 Likes

This is not a President, he is just a Resident. Time to evict.

2 Likes

Nor, apparently, is absolutist spelling. Pro tip: Muphry’s Law doesn’t just apply when one is correcting someone’s spelling or grammar. Muphry also likes to strike when one is attempting to insult someone else’s intelligence, often turning the insult into a farce.

6 Likes

A noodlum by any other name. :sunglasses:

2 Likes