Twitter no longer showing headlines in social media previews

Originally published at: Twitter no longer showing headlines in social media previews | Boing Boing

3 Likes

His motives, though, are typically user-averse: he wants people to post their content directly to Twitter, and pay for the privilege.

That and also childish revenge on “liberal” media outlets that dare question his genius.

You’d think that this would be the thing that finally gets corporate media outlets to realise they don’t “have to be on Twitter” anymore, but their inertia is such that they’ll be with it to the end.

18 Likes

To get off the xitter.

17 Likes

Being so rich that no one dares tell you your ideas are stupid does not promote good decision-making.

8 Likes

While I appreciate BB’s penchant for reporting from inside the house fire, I’m embarrassed for anyone that still willingly uses twitter.

10 Likes

Surrounding yourself with yes men is a pretty terrible way to run anything :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I lasted up until a month or so ago, mainly to keep track of artist accounts and the like. But then deleted my account, as even with a pruned down account limited to following only people i wanted to hear from, i was getting ever increasing amounts of garbage inserted in my feed.

3 Likes

Article embed for the BBS crowd: X/Twitter Removes Headlines From Articles Shared on the Platform, Which Elon Musk Believes Will Enhance ‘Esthetics’

(I mean, come on, somebody had to do it, right?)

5 Likes

I hope he’ll eventually realize that at some point people will use this against him by using clickbait to make him look like a fool (more than he currently is).

4 Likes

I mean, headlines are the only things Xitter users seem to read, anyway. Just further shortening the ill-informed outrage loop.

3 Likes

what if the only person Fuck-You money allows you to Fuck…is You?

5 Likes

“Best thing is to post content in long form on this platform.”

Just another reminder (we didn’t need) that the owner of Twitter has no fucking idea what the service is about. It’s micro-blogging, not “inserting the entire contents of a 2500 news article.”

8 Likes

Just stop using the site.

Just Saying Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

4 Likes

Sadly, it’s an actual addiction for many people.

3 Likes

d2bcd631645df3ed

Oops!

16 Likes

No. Not remotely. Nobody wants the stock image from a story which tells us nothing about the content. Headlines suck for sure, but newspaper pictures are even worse.

Just ban links already if he’s that eager to burn the thing he bought by mistake.

11 Likes

I’m still there primarily for a couple of group chats with long-time friends. We’ve only had partial success moving the chats elsewhere.

I’ve been using twitter for decades for a particular fannish community and it’s just not easy to cut that off. Close friends I’ll still be in touch with regardless, much of the twitter noise I won’t miss at all, but there’s so much of the community that won’t be replicated anywhere else, even when most people figure out the best place to move.

So far, Bluesky has been nice and there are some okay Mastodon options. But the splintering is definitely making the communities much less diverse in re languages and nationalities, which is a real shame.

3 Likes

As someone on the hellsite so aptly put it: “One of the worst changes under Caligula. Behead statues to improve their look.” Pretty accurate, both in terms of Musk being Caligula, and the effect of beheading the news articles (to the point where it’s not even obvious they are new articles).

It’s really rather startling how Elno has absolutely no clue what Twitter is, nor how 99% of its users user it (and how little he cares about either). But I suppose that’s just part and parcel of his plans to turn Twitter into something else entirely. (And I still can’t get over how idiotic that is - buy a hugely popular site, then slowly turn it into something else, thereby alienating the users and guaranteeing it won’t have the user base you bought it for in the first place. Genius.)

4 Likes

next up: you can click links, but all it does is redirect to a search of twixtr posts of people trying to figure out what the #$!! the article is about

3 Likes

Whatsapp?