Two GOP lawmakers: "It's time for Jeff Sessions to go"

Which is precisely what happened during the Saturday Night Massacre

Multiple firings until some one who was willing to accept the order to fire a special council came up in the rotation.

They want to posture for their base while delegitimizing Mueller and his investigation. If Mueller actually gets fired they probably wouldn’t be pleased as it would escalate rather than defuse the situation. Same with running their own puppet investigation over in congress. And wrapping it up early with a shrug for a conclusion.

3 Likes

Right, but surely there should be consequences for lying to congress, and therefore totally undermining the purpose that congress is talking to you at all? It wasn’t just a shits and giggles chat, congress was (supposedly) trying to determine whether he was fit to be AG. He felt he had to lie in order to prove his fitness, and when that’s allowed to stand unpunished what becomes the point of confirmation hearings?

8 Likes

Maybe it’s better to hold on Sessions. Boxing him in would be better.

1 Like

3 Likes

I know. That’s why I posted it.

1 Like

But but but… state’s rights!

I thought tRump’s right wing asshats were all about state’s rights (well, maybe it’s limited to the “right” to own people with more melanin…)

6 Likes

Of much I’ve learned over the past 350-ish days is that political strategies can have incomprehensibly many layers. Which brings me to

Is there another explanation for why he recused himself from Russia-related investigations? Was it really an ethical decision? What’s the worst that could have happened to him had he hadn’t?

Yeah, Republicans love to preach about state rights and limited government, right up until they control all branches of the federal government. Then it’s edict after edict, nationwide.

For example, the net neutrality repeal currently in progress includes a clause that forbids state and local governments from re-regulating the telecoms.

7 Likes

Taxation is probably not the main motivation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/amp/news/politics/nixon-aide-war-drugs-tool-target-black-people-article-1.2573832?__twitter_impression=true

10 Likes

frankly I think Trump manipulating to fire Mueller would just hasten his downfall - whatever is faster is fine with me

1 Like

He’s filth, but I want him in office until Bob Mueller’s done everything he can.

4 Likes

From my own state, a man who I am very happy, represents me.

7 Likes

Yeah, speaking of Faustian bargains, let’s not forget the lasting damage the previous D majority in the Senate did when they deployed the nuclear option in 2013. As a direct consequence, Trump was able to install his band of extremists and there was jack shit the dems could do to stop it.

4 Likes
7 Likes

The Trumpists would’ve just nuked the filibuster themselves, as they did to appoint Gorsuch.

The problem with the Dem nuke wasn’t that they used it, it’s that they did so too late and half-heartedly. They should’ve done it the second that the GOP began to abuse the filibuster.

Also note that many of those extremists were confirmed with the aid of Democratic votes.

5 Likes

My fear is that this political brinkmanship ends in the mutually assured destruction of the legislative process as we knew it.

1 Like

I really don’t like ‘cute’ hand puppets who would have absolutely no problem with plucking my eyes out, biting my cock off and castrating me all at the same time if he saw even some value in doing it for political gain.

3 Likes

I agree they’re posturing. I don’t think they’ve really thought this through. Or, at least, I suspect they have very different assumptions about demographics and how much support they have.

6 Likes

Interesting character choice. :wink:

But I’m largely a pragmatist. I’m all for replacing one rule with a better rule. I think however that our current government is headed toward replacing it with a worse one.

2 Likes