UK Political Thread, part the second

They might not believe in it but they are nationalising the railways by default as the Operator of Last Resort.

4 Likes

The current junta would have purged her along with the other pro-EU MPs.

4 Likes

Sorry to be off topic, and I’m not suggesting for a moment this is your intention, but the usage of the term “cabal” to imply a group who control things in secret ties into antisemitic tropes.
I never noticed it or thought about it until someone said it to me and I have not found my vocabulary impoverished for having excised it.

For example may I make some suggestions for alternatives to describe the Conservative Party?
Orgy of evil
A sewer under a swanky restaurant
A confederacy of greedy, shitheaded, incompetents
The worst fucking band in the world
etc. etc.

3 Likes

I’d had no idea that ‘cabal’ was employed thusly.

It was a callback to this, which is quite apt.

5 Likes
2 Likes

But also:

2 Likes

1 Like

“does not contain sufficient cruelty”

Good

4 Likes

Suella Braverman: Tories face ‘electoral oblivion’ if Rwanda bill fails

Is that a promise?

8 Likes

After Sunak cancelled an official visit to Greece over fears of an Elgin Marbles dialogue, this Greek newspaper did not mince its words:

If we have anyone here from Greece, please verify this is a real thing.

ETA: Just googled the shit out of it. Very real thing, I’m happy to report.

4 Likes
1 Like

GPEW having more of a fight over transphobia in their ranks.

Working Time Directive was one of the few specifics the Conservatives offered as a benefit for leaving the EU. I can’t imagine that a majority of leave voters understood their own rights were promised to be gutted while the NHS was also.

But that was what was actually on the table.

2 Likes

Yeah, this was a depressing story to read, especially on top of the article 35 order in Scotland that basically said “nope, the Scottish Parliament is just a local authority really, and it doesn’t matter what the electorate or the governing parties think.”

Sadly, I had probably already hit the bottom of my shame about being English; these sort of stories merely stop me from being able to vaguely look upwards again.

2 Likes

I’m in England, so I have little skin in this game.

As I see it, whether the Scottish Gov won or lost the case, the SNP win.

Having lost the case, the SNP get to justifiably call the current devolution a sham, and push some of the electorate who thought the current situation was sufficient into full indie voters.

Or to put it another way, when legality and morality clash in the courts, and morality loses, that is a problem that needs fixing ASAP.

2 Likes

Blame the ruling elite, not the people. They are fucking you over as well as everyone else. You are us. And all of our ruling elites are fucking us over too.

8 Likes

Jada Pinkett Smith Periodt GIF by Red Table Talk

5 Likes

It’s annoying when someone you absolutely hate does something good.

2 Likes

Archive link.

8 Likes

IMG_1389

5 Likes