UK Political Thread, part the second

8 Likes

[ETA]

Bernadette! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes
4 Likes

At this rate I expect the 2024 Conservative Party manifesto will challenge the 1983 Labour Party manifesto for the title of Longest Suicide Note in History (I would have supported the 1983 Labour manifesto, so I might be a bit biased).

6 Likes

During the First World War they didn’t conscript in Ireland. I don’t think it’s going to fly in peace time.

I’m phrasing this as politely and gently as I possibly can.

9 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes

“ Because not everyone is cheering. Far-right activists including the US conspiracy theorist Alex Jones have used her elevation to peddle the notion that Ireland, north and south, is being “invaded”. She has received death threats and racist abuse.

“To have your life threatened is not a good feeling when you genuinely just want to serve the people of your city,” the incoming mayor said in an interview. “People are absorbing populist information that is quite loud. It’s kind of like every single problem that exists in the north of Ireland or across Ireland has been caused by immigrants.””

I hope they can hurry up and bankrupt him- before he goes to prison.

7 Likes

Here are the latest vids from two brilliant, funny, often appropriately NSFW-mouthed UK politics y00t00bers:

Had a really hard time with Donkey Dave’s dialect at first - it’s not gen’lly heard across The Pond. I didn’t panic, knowing my languages ear would soon get things figured out, which it did after watching a few vids. He doesn’t v often lose me anymore. He posts daily, usually V early. His pal Long John is also wonderful, and rescues animals.

Tanya is a Goddess. Witty, insightful, unique, and her delivery! It feels like being sat at a bar or on her couch, as your dear friend hips you to what’s going on.
Caught this one of hers Sat night:

Both are badass and neither pulls their punches.

ETA:
These guys are hysterical tophat-rofl

5 Likes

8 Likes

Oliver Postgate was usually left wing when he wrote political articles, in case people are wondering. His grandfather was leader of the Labour Party too.

Yes, Oliver was Angela Lansbury’s cousin.

7 Likes

Opinion: Bringing back national service is a brilliant idea now that I’m too old to have to do it myself

12 Likes

https://x.com/AdamBienkov/status/1795401929566114069

https://x.com/lizziedearden/status/1795527670807285782

Archive link for that last story

5 Likes

For topical stuff to laugh at, I’m a big fan of Matt Green (who does mainly video stuff*) and Rosie Holt (if you haven’t heard the podcast NonCensored, you really should give it a go - it’s a delight on so many levels.)

But yeah, at the moment, the Tory campaign is doing its best to sabotage any attempts for comedians to make fun of it by being so wildly terrible that it devolves into sympathy. (Which may actually be the plan here?!)

*Matt Green:

4 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

The Tories are unrecognisable, Labour now look like the old Tories.

In an exclusive interview with BBC News, Mr Logan, who represented Bolton North East for the Tories until Parliament dissolved on Thursday, said Labour had been on a “journey” and now offered “centrist politics”.

About that (yes, I know it’s the Political Compass and all the problems with it)

Meanwhile I’m still way down in that bottom left corner. I’m further away from the Green Party than Labour are from the Conservatives. I think I would struggle to find common ground, even without the transphobia.

12 Likes

They do understand, I hope, that the whole right upper quadrant is just gradations of fascist, right? Damn, the whole “lesser of two evils” thing is hard when they both suck. At least over here we have one that sucks so fucking hard it makes the other one look acceptable in comparison. “This one sucks, but that one leads to Armageddon!”

6 Likes

It’s also why I am left deciding between the Lib Dems and Greens. SDLP/SNP/Plaid Cymru/DUP are irrelevant if you are in England, Workers GB/Labour/Reform UK/Conservative are all transphobic (as well as the DUP). There are also a few minor parties and independents who aren’t worth talking about.

I have to decide between Lib Dem (Trans supportive, could win here, but have awful economic policies and I haven’t forgiven them for the 2010-15 coalition) or Green (Spent too long sitting on the fence around trans issues, low chance of winning, but otherwise fairly good in general). Also, I don’t know much about the candidates, they could be as awful as the incumbent Labour TER MP.

Can I just go to sleep until July 4, or maybe until 2029?

11 Likes

Understood. Blessing and curse of our two-party system. Curse: Those are all the choices you get. Blessing: Currently, that choice is crystal clear and easy. Would love a viable multiparty system, but this is not to be. Barring that, ranked choice voting would help a lot. Also not to be any time soon. First priority: Eliminate the Nazis. The other stuff comes after.

4 Likes