UK Political Thread, part the second

What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason!

:roll_eyes:

Not that i don’t have sympathy for him for losing his wife in the way he did but he should have been removed from office. We’ve been down this sewer before though, haven’t we.

5 Likes

Probably because voters in France blame Macron. Voters in Germany blame the Bundestag. Voters in Italy blame… themselves for whatever it is they call a national government.

But British voters have been carefully trained and primed to blame… Macron, and the Merkel, and whoever is the President of Italy this week, and the Labour opposition. It’s all their fault, pay no attention to how stupid it sounds or how it doesn’t even make any sense, or the Tories behind the curtain.

It is, however, the bus-related message anyone with a knowledge of history was fearing.

5 Likes

Meanwhile Rosie Duffield is STILL a Labour MP. I agree that Webbe had to go, but it does seem like there is a two tier disciplinary system at the Labour Party.

Labour primed themselves to take the blame. They are fucking useless, Starmer is a wannabe Tory without the charm of Tony Blair, and if I wanted a Tory government I would vote for the Tories. They are going to get slaughtered in the next election.

(six years out of date, yet still accurate)

4 Likes

All Labour party members and recent ex-members will know about this

4 Likes

Fortunately I allowed my membership to lapse years ago.

That needs teasing out. The people rioting here are the minority in NI whose will has been bent to during the whole Brexit process. They wanted Brexit against the wishes of the majority. They wanted no deal against the wishes of the majority. They don’t want the NI protocol which is actually preferred by the majority as the best of a bad situation.

These are the people that the Tories have deliberately set loose. The PSNI resolutely ignored the beginnings of this violence and intimidation claiming it took them by surprise.

It didn’t. Their membership intersects with these people. The failure of the DUP to have local government in NI meant there was no police commission oversight for years and what had been seen as a good example of a transformation of policing reverted to sectarianism.

2 Likes

Labour Party supplier ransomware attack: Who holds ex-members’ data and on what legal basis?

‘Anon firm lost your data, don’t worry’ just makes people more fearful

https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/05/labour_party_ransomware_data_breach_questions/

Mystery surrounds the Labour Party ransomware attack, with former party members who left years ago saying their data was caught up in the hack – while official sources refuse to say what really happened.

Yesterday, after Prime Minister’s Question Time in Parliament, the political grouping once referred to as the Official Opposition to Her Majesty’s Government confessed to the breach, insisting the “cyber incident” had resulted in unspecified party IT systems “being rendered inaccessible” – with the clear implication that this was a ransomware attack.

[…]

Reg reader Michelle told us she had joined the party in 2010 but promptly cancelled her membership after being “bombarded with SMS texts” urging her to vote for Labour candidates.

“When I telephoned the Labour HQ to get my mobile phone number removed, I was told that they could remove it from the central database but not from the others because they’d given a copy of the membership database to each candidate. I told them that they had committed a serious breach and I did go on to lodge an official complaint but of course it didn’t go anywhere,” she told El Reg .

Cathryn Culverhouse, an associate with law firm DMH Stallard, told The Register that if Labour or its unknown third party was holding ex-party members’ data, they might be in legal hot water.

[…]

Nice going.

ETA:

Locked up: UK’s Labour Party data ‘rendered inaccessible’ on third-party systems after cyber attack

As membership website goes TITSUP*
https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/03/labour_party_data_rendered_inaccessible/

* Total Inability To Support Underdogs in Politics

2 Likes
3 Likes

I am dreading the next election, when people are going to start insisting that we need to vote for this waste of oxygen.

7 Likes

At this point Britain would be better off restoring Royalty as actual rulers of the country.
And by Royalty I mean some random person pulling out the “sword” out of that “stone” at Disneyland.

3 Likes

Sword In The Stone Disney GIF

I nominate @the_borderer to be the sword puller…

4 Likes

I’d pitch in for airfare if we could make that happen.

5 Likes

I suspect that the terf island problem the UK is having would be swiftly sorted…

4 Likes

And then some!

4 Likes

That’s what the sword is for.

4 Likes

kill bill GIF

3 Likes
6 Likes

The absolute state of the BBC:

7 Likes

“If we include people who are asking for human rights, then we have to also include people who don’t think the first group should be allowed to exist. That’s apparently how balance works.”

5 Likes

It’s how the BBC thinks it works, for at least ten years now they have always felt the need to have a government spokesdroid to give the party line in response to any criticism.

2 Likes