UK Political Thread, part the second

They’re coming for devolution, just as predicted:

5 Likes
8 Likes

Could go in the misogyny I guess but Angela Rayner’s response is fucking ace.

His wink is nauseating and his slagging her for going to the opera is genuinely stupid and led to this:
“My advice to the deputy prime minister is to cut out the snobbery & brush up on his opera. The Marriage of Figaro is the story of a working-class woman who gets the better of a privileged but dim-witted villain.”

8 Likes
5 Likes

The first article is gone

Internet archive saved it though

1 Like

Thursday’s resignations included the council’s Labour leader Doina Cornell, whose bar from the shortlist to be the party’s parliamentary candidate at the next election triggered the backlash.

Last night local Labour members delivered a further snub to party HQ, voting two-to-one to adopt a local GP, Simon Opher, as the town’s parliamentary candidate, rejecting Salisbury-based former MEP Clare Moody, a lobbyist with the company Grayling seen as the leadership’s preferred choice. Cornell had been seen as the local favourite and was expected to win the candidacy had she been allowed to run.

It’s now four resignations, and the Green Party are the largest party in Stroud.

A first tranche of 35 seats is in the process of being selected. Allies of the Labour leader dismiss any notion of a purge of leftwingers, insisting the party is merely weeding out individuals who would not be effective MPs, and rebuilding the parliamentary Labour party (PLP) to make it more unified.

Starmer can do what he wants, but I will never vote for a conservative, even if they campaign in Labour red. If I did that in TERF Island it would be suicidal.

6 Likes
4 Likes

You will never live in a home you own seems like a shitty slogan, BoJo.

6 Likes

The one thing that has any chance of overturning the Tory destruction of the UK, Labour just ruled it out…

I’ve long been of the opinion that Labour is much more the problem than the solution in UK politics… This confirms it… URGH

How is a political union supposed to ever work when you won’t even communicate with them? It just beggars belief.

Scotland, please flee this union, so i might have sane country to emigrate to when i can afford to do so please.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Since it’s behind the Times paywall, does the idea of perhaps not taxing people who don’t increase the world population but instead letting in more of the already existing young people who want to come and live in the UK ever come up?

6 Likes

SURELY you don’t mean to imply they’re not ACTUALLY concerned about “the economy” but instead some kind of RACIAL COMPETITION :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Sir Keith should pay attention, but he won’t because he’s a Blairite.

6 Likes

I’ve gone and searched the author of this “article”.
Here’s part of the description of one of the books he’s written:

Demography has always mattered in conflict, but with conflict increasingly of an inter-ethnic nature, with sharper demographic differences between ethnic groups and with the spread of democracy, numbers count in conflict now more than ever.

Yep, it’s a bunch of “racial warfare” bullshit, just as expected.

6 Likes

Both promising but also the kind of thing that should never happen. The media owners have FAR too much power over the UK :confused:

7 Likes

There is some interesting ideas here published today.

It’s disheartening, but the realpolitik of the UK currently means the best way of defeating the Tories is to pre-empt their attack lines and the tub-thumping slogans they produce.

Reversing Brexit or offering anyone a referendum on anything is a toxic sludge at the moment - But that need not mean maintaining the status quo.

1 Like

Brexit itself seemed pretty sludgy—what’s on the menu, other than different kinds of sludge?

3 Likes

Scottish Labour seems promising or interesting?

Hang on, there’s this bridge that you might be interested in buying…

The “winning in local administrations” he champions is more of what I posted upthread, where Labour councillors are being disciplined for objecting to going into coalition with the tories, the “vague reforms to how the UK works” do absolutely nothing to fix the way that Westminster can just overrule the devolved governments whenever it pleases, There’s nothing about Brexit, because they’re now a hard Brexit party, doing nothing to get us back in, and there’s a bright orange “no, no, no” to any negotiation with the Scottish people if they happen to disagree with him. Again. Their entire negotiating position is “you’ll support us and get nothing in return, because at least we’re not the tories” (as noted above, this is debatable)

If you’re going to get any hope out of the Labour party at the moment, you’ll find it in Wales or in Preston council, rather than here.

3 Likes

As a target of some of those attack lines and tub-thumping slogans, I would like to politely tell the Labour party to FUCK OFF! if they want to do that. This is why I am no longer a member of the Labour Party.

If Labour want to be TERFy Tories then there is no point in me voting for them. My life will be in danger no matter who wins the next election. Right now I am swinging away from cooperation with the state back towards anarcho-communism, not as a theoretical exercise but as a way to survive as the state becomes hostile towards trans people, travellers, immigrants and refugees, etc.

I miss the old days when I only got angry at the Labour leadership, and didn’t understand how shitty they really are.

Sadly the current Labour leaders and old guard have no interest in the Preston Model.

9 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

I wish people would stop assuming, too, that most people want to vote for hurting others. I think if you center these issues, and tell people that instead you want to protect vulnerable populations, because that is indeed the best way to defend all our rights, since they’re connected together, most people will be on board with that.

Reminds me of a recent Beau video on Roe, where he says as much with regards to family planning. That the Democrats need to put that issue front and center, as it’s a winning issue. Same with protecting the rights of the LGBQT+ community and opposing people like terfs.

6 Likes