UK Political Thread, part the second

Forgive my ignorance but is there a glimmer of something at least not worse in the future? The biggest loyalists out there seem to be either the most outrageous sociopathic scum, Gove and Patel, or the most ridiculous idiots like Dorries? I know that the English Conservative and Unionist party is a hive of scum and villainy the likes of which one would struggle to encounter anywhere else but are they paring down their core axis of evil into a rump hate state which can be calved off by the New Management?

Otherwise:

Maybe Iā€™m being too optimistic. Iā€™m caffeinated and on the final run into some real time off which has been delayed, seemingly forever.

2 Likes

What they need now is a strong, decisive leader!

Fuck.

Sad Ice Cream GIF

5 Likes

Iā€™m wondering if heā€™s egotistical enough to call a snap election and burn it all down rather than quit. I wouldnā€™t put it past him.

5 Likes

Iā€™m fine with that. Mostly.

Though the risk of grinning fascist Priti Patel in charge gives me the fucking fear something chronic, but isnā€™t that always the risk?

4 Likes

Heā€™ll do whatever the voices in his head tell him to.

2 Likes

Like heā€™d listenā€¦ :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

The difference is that he had a choice sworn duty to help this particular child and explicitly decided to go against it just so the tabloid headlines wouldnā€™t portray him as weak on foreigners.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly my point - without electoral reform the bulk of the population are faced with handing No. 10 to the currently ā€œleast badā€ option, as someone who also quit the labour party and the father of a LGBTQ+ son thatā€™s a bitter gall.
The country might never recover from another government with the likes of Johnson, Patel, Raab, Dories, Braverman at the helm.

My local Labour MP - Luke Pollard, is a reason to be hopefulā€¦

That could also be used as an argument for voting Tory to get rid of transphobic Labour MPā€™s. I still wouldnā€™t do it.

You missed the part where either plausible option is catastrophic to lethal for me. I cannot bring myself to vote for someone who hates me and would see me tortured for the sake of winning votes, and unfortunately that is the case with Keir Starmer and my local Labour MP. My existence is non-negotiable, if they donā€™t believe in that then I refuse to vote for them.

And then there is the case of Rosie Duffield, who a few weeks ago was open about going to the pub to meet with Helen Joyce, who is an antisemitic conspiracy theorist and eliminationist transphobe. Apparently that isnā€™t a problem anymore for the current Labour leadership. A few years ago Rosie would have the press demanding she resign for associating with a known antisemite, now there is silence. What the fuck happened?

I cannot remember a time where both Labour and the Conservatives were this bad at the same time. Labour are only winning by-elections because the Tories are staying at home, not because they have won back the right wing vote that they think they need.

I mean, this was not good a month ago and things have not changed much

I am left hoping for a hung parliament and that the only way that Labour could form a government is by a Green-SNP coalition.

Well good for you, I guess. I have a Labour TERF as MP.

9 Likes

Hm. Sounds familiarā€¦

2 Likes

Previously:

8 Likes

We should, but as home secretary at the time, Javid had a legal duty of care to the young mother in question, Shamima Begum, as Doctor_Faustus points out.

Instead, he rendered her stateless (an action that in itself almost certainly breached UK and international law) and the home office then fought in the courts to prevent her returning to the UK to fight that decision. The government eventually prevailed on the grounds that a 21-year-old woman ā€” who undoubtedly be under intense surveillance if she returned to the UK ā€” would be a threat to national security.

Begum was unarguably extremely stupid to leave the UK to join Islamic State, but the fact remains that Javidā€™s refusal to allow her to return to the UK led directly to the death from pneumonia of her child.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Looks like Mike Freer, who was exports and equalities minister until a few minutes ago, agrees

Also, itā€™s being reported that backbenchers are refusing to take vacated Cabinet jobs.

2 Likes

Stop it. Heā€™s an asshole, through and through.

Do not make this about mental health.

10 Likes

Fair; deleted.

2 Likes

Seems Gove is out to rescue his career, sticking his knife in while Al is already bleeding out.

Stick a fork in this, itā€™s done.

3 Likes

Goveā€™s knife and Bojoā€™s back are very well aquainted.

2 Likes

I think, as pointed out above, you have an extra word or two in there, would you like them back?
almost certainly .

Edit
I love how a pseudonymous letter to a newspaper from the 50s is the most important (written) part of the ā€œunwritten constitutionā€ today.

3 Likes

Corbyn is gone. Antisemitism is no longer useful as a political ploy, so the usual suspects are suddenly no longer interested in it as a matter of principle.

2 Likes