UK Political Thread, part the second

He is certainly not.

You’ll have to explain/or link that ref to me. I gave it a shallow google, but…

There is a line from her something like “when you choose the lesser evil it’s very easy to forget you are choosing evil.”

It’s a pretty chilling line.

5 Likes

That is chilling.

How about, in the light of his fisticuffs with his sibling, we go with a Buffy bastardisation:
‘William The BloodyNose’.

Not very Guy Ritchie, but hey… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Well, no, actually. But some parts of the media decided to take those lines completely out of context from a larger extract in which he explicitly disavows that view and effectively says that this is a consequence of a system that is specifically designed to produce that result, and that most soldiers in his type of position don’t get the opportunity to say that - mostly because by the time you reach a level of seniority in which you could, you would be far enough removed for it to be largely sidelined. Also, it’s instructive to compare this coverage to that of the time, when Harry was being lauded as a war hero.
The media are trying to keep the monarchy alive right now, and they think that the only way to do that is to take down a senior member by any means necessary. (Consider, for instance, how quickly they turned on and destroyed Johnson after years of fawning coverage.)

That’s not to say that I think Harry is some sort of ideal heroic role model here. I do think, however, that this public therapy process is shining a bright light into the fundamental cesspit that is the British media opinion industry right now, and personally, I think that’s a good thing.

13 Likes

Thanks for the context.

2 Likes

They could start by calling for Andrew to be removed to the Tower for final disposition.

5 Likes

15 Likes

Interesting that the military establishment have responded with “noooo, you can’t say that”.

2 Likes

It’s the first rule of war club!

2 Likes

Stalinist revision – but incompetently done even by Tory standards.

7 Likes
5 Likes

I hate the fact that the bar is now so low that my initial reaction was “at least they got rid of him immediately”

7 Likes

12 Likes
7 Likes

I initially thought the free speech absolutists in the Tory party were rebelling over this draconian legislation, but it turns out they want more restrictions. I hope this thing gets chewed up in the parliamentary meat grinder because it’s unworkable and goes way way too far in its current form.

5 Likes

https://davidallengreen.com/2023/01/we-have-a-coalition-government-and-we-have-had-for-some-time/ suggests that the Tory party is so divided, or at least a faction of rebels so brazen, that we have a coalition in practise, if not in name.

4 Likes

It has been thus for some time and i want a functioning government because we have so many problems to deal with, but not if it means passing fuckery like this. It may not seem like a big deal on the face of it but it really carves out a route for the government to take down anything they deem harmful - in a season of organising strikes. :thinking:

4 Likes

“Section 35 has never been invoked so there is no precedent, there’s no case law to base any determination on – so the outcome of such a legal challenge by the Scottish government would be definitely uncertain, but it would also be highly consequential,” said Chapman.

Such a case could have far-reaching consequences, she warns – more than anything, it would cause “significant harm” to the UK government’s relationship with devolved nations.

“It would show very clearly that the so-called ‘union of equals’ is anything but and that actually the Tories are out to get devolution – that would certainly be my reading of it.”

12 Likes

These tories are really hell-bent on tearing down the UK, aren’t they?

11 Likes

Regardless of their location that is all that conservatives ever have to offer…

8 Likes