Unmasked woman filmed berating other shoppers and coughing on them

Well, that doesn’t fill me with dread! /s

15 Likes

I live for that moment she looks right at the camera, realizes it’s there, and there’s this immediate, tiny recoil as the consequences about to hit her finally click.

14 Likes

I’m not a biologist, but from what I’ve seen there aren’t going to be more natural waves. This thing sucks, and it’s with us now permanently like influenza. Waves in the flu season I suppose? Different regions of us ape-people might find different ways to mitigate this, but it isn’t going to be wished away by politicians who want to return everyone back to work. Re-tool the laid off workers (who STILL are missing their jobs and still want to work and not garden every day) into a new economy based on healthcare, social protection, education, and tech infrastructure to help with the sequestration.

Cuz’ the old economy is gone, and people are going to have to start getting used to that fact.

9 Likes

Karen clearly has something to prove; but I’m having trouble making out exactly what.

5 Likes

I’m less optimistic. If this coronavirus becomes seasonal, then the old economy isn’t dead. It’ll be business as usual with a higher mortality rate. People aren’t willing to continue living like we’ve been living in the long term.

7 Likes

Taught me a word today, and what a good one.

17 Likes

The Karens are going to Karen.

2 Likes

I worry there’s never going to be another issue that America doesn’t polarize over. If staying safe in a pandemic can become a Red/Blue thing, anything can.

20 Likes

You don’t remember the “cathexis ray” that gave Doc Sampson his powers by siphoning the rage-energy from the Hulk decades ago in a comic? (Don’t know whether it’s confession or bragging to admit that’s the only reason I recognized the term.)

7 Likes

It’s a well known fact that Karens are Kannibals.

3 Likes

This update to an old meme popped up on Reddit recently.

32 Likes

The massive raging pandemic (going unchecked by the federal and many state governments) happening between now and then will be fun, too.

In most of the US, we’re still on our first wave, though. (And given current trajectories and government inaction, there will be no lull before November to give us a “second” wave by then, either.)

12 Likes

Yeah, I fear that too. I can work remotely but my wife can’t (retail). And the psychological damage to the kids is seriously crazy since they are being told they can’t hang out with their buddies and all summer camps are closed.

5 Likes

I’m a bit uncomfortable with the tone of the internet shaming over this incident. Is it despicable behavior? Yes, for sure. But the sense I get of cumulative online outrage here – and the woman has been doxxed at this point – appears to be a pile-on far out of proportion to the original offense. Which was bad! But not (presuming a little bit here) hundreds-of-online-death-threats bad.

I also can’t help but notice that it’s clips of women doing things like this that get the most traction, not men. It seems like the virality plays on unconscious (or conscious) misogyny in the viewers, too, at least to the degree that men don’t tend to get shamed in the same ways…

4 Likes

If she’s asymptomatic, then her actions can very well make others sick and maybe kill someone.

But hey, a white woman got called out, so, that’s a million times worse… /s

:roll_eyes:

Once again, white women are privileged in our society (myself included) and as a results some white women very much USE that privilege to attack people of color in our society. We see this time and again, often with an added dose of appealing to authorities to protect them because of their whiteness. The reality of misogyny does not make it okay to endanger others, including doing shit like spitting on people during a pandemic, or calling the cops of black men as a threat. I’m okay with white women being called out on their racism and privilege when they do this like this. That’s not misogyny, it’s reality.

32 Likes

Supply or demand?

24 Likes

She made a conscious, malicious choice to engage in behavior that might spread a deadly disease that has already killed at least 120,000 Americans, in addition to verbally and physically assaulting those who are quite reasonably concerned about the disease.

She can go ahead and fuck herself all the way to hell.

31 Likes

Based on this article, I would say yes, but a Karen is as a Karen does, so all we can say about the other woman is that she was a potential Karen. https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/the-difference-between-a-karen-and-a-becky-explained-1842708257

3 Likes

Arrest her for assault.

6 Likes

Oh, no doubt. And yet, I don’t want the internet to… dwell on it unduly somehow? On some kind of two wrongs don’t make a right principle or something.

This isn’t something that I would have said about the Central Park Ramble woman who was weaponizing racism in her crocodile-tears call to 911, for what it’s worth. The general shittiness of the bagel shop incident is somehow outweighed by the specific racist shittiness of that one.

3 Likes