Vandals filmed destroying famous sandstone pedestal

On the contrary: mental models evolve faster than the language, so we are forced to repurpose existing words to approximate concepts for which we lack precise terms. It’s pretty much the norm in IT, where new terms are actually quite rare. Your little “icons” on your “desktop” are not votive images on a table; “floppy disks” were rarely circular and stopped being floppy pretty early on; you “save data” rather than writing magnetic tracks (or, today, flipping atoms in metal), organizing all in paperless “files” and “folders” which are really just memory addresses. The point being: we (or rather, IT researchers) had this model of a bunch of bits they could manage, and didn’t feel they could just make words up, so they repurposed existing ones, to great success.

The closest you get for “totally new word for a totally new model”, in recent times, is “cyber”… which is quite an embarrassing word, really.

1 Like

Read the originals or the comics - whenever he sticks around for more than a few weeks, Conan always ends up being the legitimate (and popular) ruler. Karma is consistent.

6 Likes

Well, they do change over time, I agree with this much.

This does not follow in any way. People overload words because they are too lazy to make new ones. But beyond this, there often are words which are more accurate and already exist. Such as “record”. How long has it been since the average movie camera used film - 35 years? That’s plenty of time to get accustomed to the idea. Can I use a phone to record video? Sure. Can I use a phone to put images on film? I have never seen this happen. It’s a simple matter of people taking literally seconds to think about what they are saying.

All words are “just made up”, so there exists a proud tradition. New words for new concepts are more clear and less confusing than applying them to existing words. People’s reluctance to do so makes this no less true.

And no, icon-driven software is another one of my big peeves, so that is a horrible example. I don’t communicate in picture-ese!

I would love to throw a right cross to the jaw of every one of those people that pushed that over. I hope they wind up in jail.

Language is about communication. Is it more effective to communicate a new concept using a word that is “close enough” and will likely be understood by your audience, or making up a new term which you will have to explain over and over to everyone you meet, and which may or may not “stick” and be remembered? Obviously the former, which is what happens in practice. This is not laziness, this is efficiency.

Holy crap, you complain about people “overloading” terms, then bring up the most generic and overloaded word ever, which literally means “remember”, straight from Latin, and was originally used to say “reproduce so it can be remembered” more than “store away”. It’s the most imprecise and generic word you can use when you want to indicate you are saving some sort of experience in any format. You might as well tell people to smurf the smurf :slight_smile:

Let me guess: all the times you’ve been watching films, you’ve actually been staring at plastic strips, not at the light projected through such strips while they’re quickly flipped in front of a lense so that you can experience a story through moving images. When you’ve been filming something, you’ve been wrapping such strips around something. “Films” and “to film” have long overlapped “record” and “to record” when the item being recorded is a visual experience. In fact, they are much more precise terms than “record” will ever be. You will never have people doing something “for the film” so that it’s official, or “look up a film in a directory” that is a generic data store.

By the way, you’re probably using a camera to record; I go to my Italian camera when I want to sleep. Wanna bet which term is more precise and closer to the original meaning?

Honestly, that mirror you’re trying to climb is not worth it.

That’s a philosophical statement, and a very wrong one. All words come from somewhere, but more often than not, they come from previous words. We are even now communicating in English, the most bastardized language on Earth, one that rarely ever “made up” words from first principles and instead repurposed and remixed terms from “more original” Latin and Scandinavian languages. There is a reason we have an entire science called etymology.

Obviously we did have to “make up” a lot of words at some point, but that was a long time ago, before we even knew how to write anything down. Almost everything after that came from a process of mangling and refining existing terms. Which is why today you say you want to “bring back into our heart” the stuff you see through some lenses, when in fact you want to store it away in some sequence of electrons for further use. The Latins did not “make up” that word to indicate what you want to indicate, but over the years people agreed that was an acceptable use of the term.

This has nothing to do with what icons are or are used for, they were very much a late addition to IT. Use a terminal (which is something like a “boundary”, of course, something where stuff ends – nothing to do with typing text on a screen!), it’s the same thing - you “cd” to change “directory” (a guide or system of guides / managers), you “open” “files”, you “print” to screen without anything ever getting pressed. None of those terms are specific or made up, not even “input” and “output”. The made-up words are pretty much all acronyms and abbreviations like RAM or CPU, or remixes like “network”, so again, very little is really new.

5 Likes

These are not city people. City people who go into Nature are choosing to do so because they recognize its beauty and majesty. These are people who think the only point of land is how it serves them. They’ll be very proud of their own yard/acreage, because of what they’ve done to it.

3 Likes

According to a Fark headline, the culprits have been found and have a November court date. Apparently, they’ve been doing damage at other parks, too.

I would link the page, but I can’t even magnify the text on my phone to see what it says.

Other words and phrases you can’t use: “ring” for when your phone alerts you to a call by any means other than an electro mechanical bell. “Hang up” your phone when you end a call unless doing so actually involves a hook switch. “Type” when you input text using your computer’s keyboard (which is not a type writer). Use upper or lower case letters since you aren’t pulling them from a case of type having upper and lower compartments. Use a “font” since you aren’t using cast type. Use “leading” to specify your line spacing since you aren’t using lead.

I think you are going to just have to stop using English all together, especially since it is no longer exclusively used by, well, the English.

3 Likes

Apparently this is a different group of nature vandals, who are incidentally also a Canadian clothing/lifestyle company called High on Life (which however shouldn’t be a defense against their actions).

Well, that sucks even more, that destroying monuments has become a “thing”.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.