Vanity Fair: Trump campaign manager and "website guy" Brad Parscale to quit

I would listen to other people talk about watching that documentary on Netflix. :wink:

13 Likes

whelp, saw that one coming, lol

4 Likes

Well, two things. His “business empire” is largely based on bank loan fraud and money laundering these days, with a a bit of licensing. The licensing is going to have to shift quite a bit - putting his name on buildings is largely going to be a non-starter now, but licensing his name for cheap consumer crap will be more viable - and he’s been getting too much attention (and alienated all the banks) for more loan fraud, but money laundering is as viable as ever (it’s never prosecuted). Plus, his original plan, when he intended to lose the first election, was to start up a media outlet appealing to his base. Barring his going to jail, I’m sure he’ll end up doing that, too, when he leaves office (it’ll be a family enterprise). Thanks to his campaign, he’s got a bunch of names and addresses of suckers to use for business purposes going forward. Sadly, he’ll do better than ever.

7 Likes

Its still completely damning of our whole political system that someone ‘just winging it’ could seize control of the entire apparatus, with only meager opposition.

6 Likes

Who could have ever seen that coming??

1 Like

These are all “Toilet Paper” hires; people employed to spend a brief amount of time with an asshole and leave covered in shit.

8 Likes

I think that Parscale running Trump’s digital campaign in 2016 was a lightning-in-a-bottle thing where if you simulated the election a thousand times from starting conditions in, like, 2004 it wouldn’t have happened again.

Trump’s digital and social media campaigns in 2016 were very effective, and they were run by this guy who’d been doing websites for hire by hanging his shingle in a random town in Texas. Turns out he had an actual talent for what the digital campaign would require. Outdid the cream of the crop digital operators on Hillary’s side. It wasn’t was some Mr. Magoo-like lucking into the situation, I think the man was very very effective. (If anyone is Magoo in this story, it’s clearly Trump. Who, despite ample reserves of low animal cunning and instinct on media manipulation, is clearly not a smart man.)

If this failure puts Parscale off the team, that does more damage to Trump 2020 than any optics from the failed campaign rally did. Far more.

3 Likes

I see he’s wearing a mask. I’d have a paper bag over my head, myself.

4 Likes

With a lot of help from Putin and some help from the fact that Clinton’s primary criteria for “cream-of-the-crop” in any field are “unquestioning loyalty” and “champion arse-kisser” (with actual competence coming in a far third place). Biden can’t do much about Russian meddling but he can veto any applicants with “Hillary 2016” on their CVs.

9 Likes

I bet it really riles him to be shorter than Barron.

3 Likes

Certainly with the help from Putin. I know less about whether Clintonian hiring practices may or may not have prevented them from getting the most effective people. (I really like the one UX designer I know who worked on the campaign.)

I have also heard that there’s a lot less standing-on-the-shoulders-of-previous-efforts that happens on campaigns than in most other parts of technology. Each effort seems to need to be erected from the ground up. Teams seem to be particularly worried about open-sourcing their tooling and libraries for fear that the other side will get the benefit of their efforts next election.

1 Like

It’s mostly the senior people I’m talking about – the managers, strategists, staffers with direct contact with Clinton, etc. I wouldn’t pin anything on the junior volunteers and staff.

I can confirm. I’ve known tech people over the years who worked for campaigns (both Dem and GOP) who just gave up in disgust because of this particularly stupid and wasteful form of Not Invented Here syndrome.

6 Likes

it’s true of all of our systems (economic, political, social)… the people who already have the money, power, and connections are the ones who fail up to the top, no matter how incompetent.

9 Likes

This is something I have been thinking about since 2016. With 7 billion people in the world – some of them severely damaged – there will never be literally no one willing to fill vacancies in the Turmp (mal)administration.

So when we talk about the point where “no one” is prepared to work from him, we really mean “only the worst 0.1% of the population.”

And when you start to think about what that scenario would look like, it suddenly hits you that this isn’t hypothetical. Turmp started with the absolue dregs in most cabinet positions, and he’s been moving rapidly down the list of candidates ever since.

5 Likes

People just get jobs with the Trump administration/campaign to audition for a lucrative job at Fox News anyway.

5 Likes

it’s hard to sell a shit sandwich

That is what the Russian bread is for.

2 Likes

Godzilla is shorter than Barron

1 Like

Russian Bread

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.