Venting, random

Does that mean they are no longer interested in my thoughts?

8 Likes

To you? Thruppence. :wink:

(And yes, I know that would be problematical, too.
We actually used to have a thruppenny bit.)

4 Likes

No.

But that’s just my two cents :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Was that back when 240 pence made a pound?

6 Likes

Somewhen back then. :wink:
I do clearly remember ha’pennies, though. Back when instead of shops pricing things as £9.99 (because they were afraid to admit it cost a tenner), they’d price it as £9.99½! (Because, well, the same)

5 Likes

Watching a TV doc about the crash of crash of American Airlines flight 587 back in 2001. It played a short clip of George W. Bush’s statement following the crash and I felt a genuine pang of, “I miss that guy.”

Holy shit is Trump an awful president.

9 Likes

Because corporations have to eventually ruin everything.

2 Likes

Dammit.

Cisco’s UCCE enterprise phone architecture must have been designed by the same people who are building John Deere tractors nowadays.

DO NOT BUY UCCE. It would be fine, except that Cisco is more interested in preventing the customer from getting root level access to the individual nodes than they are interested in MAKING MONEY. So when it breaks, and you know exactly what is wrong with it, you can’t fix it in ten minutes, instead you have to go through weeks-long process of hand-holding with offensively incompetent support people who refuse to believe you already know what is wrong, and instead insist of walking through a tedious and ultimately ineffective diagnostic script. Eventually, after exhausting every other possibility and wasting hundreds of man-hours of time and costing hundreds of thousands of dollars of potential profit to be lost, they will discover that you were right all along at which point they will do the ten minute fix, and then you will spend weeks dealing with the cleanup and fallout.

DO NOT BUY UCCE. Just flush a truckload of money down a toilet and hit yourself in the head with a hammer a few dozens times… it’ll feel the same, but it’ll be over quicker.

5 Likes

OK… You’re doing your job, I understand …

But if you’re gonna come racing through my building putting flyers on all of our doors for your unknown pizza shop, at least pretend you can READ and not put them on the doors to the fire-exits !

4 Likes

Computer opened up in the uni library. Set down my drinks (water and coffee) and go to my table to grab my backpack. Come back and this girl is signing in. NBD, maybe she thought it was abandoned.

“Excuse me, I was using that.”

“Oh, well I need it. I’ll just be a few minutes, sorry.”

“Okay…”

Lady, you’re going to go far in life. I’m sure.

10 Likes

Dear Amazon sellers: sending me 4 emails about the item I have purchased does not make me more likely to leave you a good review. In fact, it strongly tempts me to leave a review talking about how you harassed me for a review.

14 Likes

Good point. One thing they can do to get a good review is actually putting the package in the mail, instead of just creating a shipping label, then sitting on it for a week.

2 Likes

If the Obama administration had had a tenth of the scandals that the Trump administration has had, the Republicans would have been apoplectic. But more than that, they would have been on every televised venue that would have them, and they would all be spouting off identical talking points, hammering the same accusatory phrases out of every single members mouth. Why don’t the Democrats have the same level of unity and discipline?

5 Likes

I did that once, and my review was rejected because it wasn’t about the product.

3 Likes

Cool! A technical recommendation, there is some pronounced sibilance on your recording, some gentle deessing will make the listening experience much more pleasant. Let me know if I can be of any help.

2 Likes

I just got an email asking me to write a seller review for something I bought in December. If I haven’t written one by now, I’m not going to.

In other venting, some Guest Service person at ticketing wasn’t doing their damn job today, because I had to tell at LEAST a dozen people that they can’t have their venti Starbucks/water bottles/orange juice in the museum galleries. And there was one lady noshing on a family size bag of chips. GS is supposed to tell them there’s no food or drink allowed in the galleries. Water bottles I can see, because they’re usually stashed in a backpack or a purse and the GS doesn’t see them. But no one had their damn Starbucks in their purse!

9 Likes

Slate.com’s podcasts (at least the ones I follow, like Gist, Politics-and-Prose, Trumpcast, Political Gabfest, Working) are no longer a simple direct MP3 download from an RSS feed. Now they’re behind ten layers of JavaScript and an SVG audio player and a megaphone.fm IFRAME and eight page reloads before I can download the MP3. Pain. In. The. Ass.

EDIT: before I said it uses Flash, but I looked closer and I think it’s JS+SVG.

5 Likes

This is a stupid complaint, but I’m posting it anyway. Maybe some BBS magic will find me a solution.

I have curly hair. That means that to blow-dry it, I use a diffuser attachment which looks like this:

I’m trying to find a wall-mounted holder to store my dryer in, and NONE of them seem to acknowledge that these things exist. I can find stations that will hold 3 different curling irons or straighteners, but all I can find to hold my diffuser are baskets (which I have, and it doesn’t quite fit and the prongs get stuck.)

7 Likes

Something like a wall-mounted document rack with a cut-out or even a simple bar like this for saucepan lids? Difficult to tell the depth of that diffuser, so these might not work.

6 Likes