Vice Presidential candidates debate, 1 Oct 2024

Against my better judgement, and with full knowledge that tonight’s hosts will not be real-time factchecking, I am starting this thread, and may the gods have mercy on us all.

ETA:
The Lone Ranger Running GIF by GritTV

no, this is not what a Gish Gallop looks like

ETA2:

You’re “welcome.”

23 Likes

:sob:

15 Likes

stories

16 Likes

preview
preview
preview

16 Likes

In an interview Trump’s sleazy senior advisor Stephen Miller just took the reasonable tactic of pointing out that Walz is a great debater, thus setting the stage for Vance to exceed expectations if he manages to hold his own tonight.

Meanwhile Trump just called Walz a “Moron,” setting the stage for an even more humiliating defeat if Walz comes out on top.

Of course Vance is really in a no-win position here because even if he does very well then he’ll be in the doghouse with his boss for making Trump’s debate performance look even worse by contrast.

21 Likes

For the previous Presidential debate, I nearly didn’t watch it because I can’t stand hearing Trump speak, but the thread here and my desire to not be in the dark about something so important won out - and I’m glad I did watch it (with closed captions and the sound off) because of how Kamala handled herself and played Trump like a fiddle.

Tonight’s debate I’ve been very excited to watch, not least of all because of how Walz handles and carries himself versus Vance’s constant stumbles. The lack of fact-checking by the moderators absolutely sucks, but I really think that there’s a better than good chance that Walz absolutely mops the floor with Vance. Kamala’s performance followed up with a great performance by Walz is going to be a great catharsis of a one-two punch, hopefully followed up with a knockout blow of winning the election!

6 Likes

I wasn’t going to watch tonight, but now that you framed it that way I kind of want to.

12 Likes

As I don’t want to find the rabbit ears for the TV, I think I’ll just watch the debate by lurking in this chatroom tonight.

(yes, sure I can stream it somehow, but … meh)

6 Likes

7 Likes

OK, place your pre-debate bets!

• Walz outperforms Vance, Trump has a tantrum.
  • Walz outperforms Vance, but Trump puts a positive spin on it by pretending to believe his running mate carried the evening.
  • Vance outperforms Walz, Trump congratulates his running mate on a job well done.
  • Vance outperforms Walz, Trump has a tantrum.
  • No clear winner because everything is terrible.
0 voters
11 Likes

If Vance outperforms Walz, Trump will state everyone is saying Trump deserves all of the credit as he told Vance exactly how to debate, as he’s the best debater.

7 Likes

For the purpose of this poll I would consider that a Trumpian version of “congratulating his running mate on a job well done.”

6 Likes

How do I pick both of the first two?

10 Likes

It occurred to me after posting that that he’s likely to do both (have a tantrum but also pretend his guy was the clear winner), so I would say whichever of those two things you think Trump will dedicate more time to writing about.

For example, if he posts 3 comments saying how great Vance did but 20 comments about how unfair and rigged the debates are then that would fall under “tantrum.”

9 Likes

i like these bingo cards, but i feel like all of the spots should just say “fascism” and the free spot in the middle should be “elect harris”.

the rules are: select any one square with full knowledge of the outcomes, and then read the square to see how you’ve done

7 Likes

In a strange coincidence, my hockey game tonight is too late for my old ass to play in, so I’m watching this debate.

Kinda regretting not holding back on dinner so popcorn could be part of my night!

Deer Popcorn GIF

13 Likes

Just takes a few minutes in the microwave!

I made minestrone from scratch with maybe 1/3 of the bowl filled with shredded basil and sage leaves.

Maybe I should make popcorn for dessert. There’s still time…

9 Likes

Go get him, Coach Walz!

23 Likes

“Catless child man tapped by witless manchild.”

14 Likes

Air pop is my quick fix!

On the same vibe for dinner tonight - spaghetti with last year’s red sauce. Minestrone on slow mode. :wink:

9 Likes