Vice Presidential candidates debate, 1 Oct 2024

I read that as “topped” at first…

Unsee Do Not Want GIF

9 Likes

CBS says a QR code will appear on screen for portions of the debate. Viewers can scan the code to follow the outlet’s live coverage and analysis – including fact checks – of the debate on their website. Moderators will be primarily focused on facilitating the debate and enforcing the rules of the debate, CBS said.

Considering Tv Shows GIF by PBS SoCal

ETA:
it’s 9 minutes to show time and I see that the “watching now” numbers on the Youtube channel are going up by 500s to nearly 25,000 viewers… oops–it’s now 25,603 viewers…

ETA2:

in case you want to see what CBS is doing “on their website” including possible factchecks…

8 Likes

No handshake on camera.

4 Likes

Nooe, they just did.

3 Likes

The lighting makes Vance look satanic and Walz like a fat angel.

3 Likes

talking episode 9 GIF

13 Likes

The gents are on stage. They shake hands.

The CBS hosts are chatting. “CBS reserves the right to mute the microphones to maintain decorum.”

Topic: Middle East
To Walz: would you support a pre–emptive strike on Iran?

Walz: sounds pretty intelligent and fact-based, uses the words “steady leadership” and compares Trump’s crazy dangerous behavior… mentions both of T’s secretaries of defense and their negtative characterizations of T…

“we need” more “steady” “calm” phrasing; invokes Putin, links to Trump

To Vance: same q
Vance: is now giving us his life story, not answering question so far…

12 Likes

The Kamala Harris administration? She’s already President?

14 Likes

Vance put some Extra Emphasis on “The Kamala Harris Administration” while talking about the Biden Administration

ETA: @danimagoo
Coca Cola Coke GIF by Coca-Cola Oficial

11 Likes

Vance: “peace through strength” claims T would fix it
“it is up to Israel, it should decide”

Walz: “Trump was in power” “fickle leadership” (several mentions) contrasts w “steady leadership”

CBS: U.S. had a deal with Iran and T walked out of it; did he make a mistake?

ETA:

V: is somehow claiming “Harris admin” is responsible for what we see now

Topic: Hurricane Helene

9 Likes

Holy shit, Vance doesn’t realize he’s not just addressing Trumpanzees

6 Likes

Vance: climate change is “weird science” now??

12 Likes

Will I finish the bottle of red I opened to get through this? Only time will tell.

Vance sounds reasonable, so he’ll fool a lot more people than Trump.

And can anyone explain to me how doubling down on producing fossil fuels ASAP is helping climate change? But I’m no fool.

12 Likes

That’s a Repub thing, to take real complaints about them and turning around and using the same phrases against Democrats, as if everything is interchangeable.

9 Likes

I took a 25 THC/CBD beverage an hour ago. It’s kicking in.

7 Likes

Smart!

7 Likes

Vance is lying, but he’s a lot more polished than Trump. For people watching who aren’t well informed, I think Vance would probably seem impressive to them so far. This is why fact checking is important.

ETA: autocorrect on my phone sometimes says the opposite of what I want.

18 Likes

Amazon Studios Prime Video GIF by Harlem

7 Likes

Yeah, I saw that, and was responding to double-check what you meant, but you were quick on the draw!

6 Likes

Vance:
Thoughts and prayers
Claims to know personally affected people in Appalachia
“Donald Trump and I support clean air clean water” “Concern about carbon emissions–let’s just say that’s true… what would you do? re-shore industries” is blaming China re: emissions “invest in America” claims Harris is opposite

Walz:
serves on council of governors involved w emergency stuff / Federal gov’t
Climate change: we’ve seen massive investment–inflation reduction act–200,000 in the country; solar mfg; now talking about farmers and droughts; reducing our impact is critical and it is compatible w mitigation goals

CBS: T called climate change “a hoax”

V: is talking about Harris, and how she should agree w T’s “energy policy” WTFTM; now riffing on “solar panels made in China” is making environment dirtier; here comes nuclear promo, natural gas promo

W: we are producing more oil and natural gas; back to farmers and their suffering in MN; we are starting to weatherproof and mitigate… he’s talking about infrastructure; ooooooh man he’s calling out T’s expressed willingness to be paid by oil industry

10 Likes