Vice Presidential candidates debate, 1 Oct 2024

A sample of tone of this piece:

Right from the start, viewers and commentators noticed the difference between Walz and Vance’s debating styles. During the first question about the unfolding crisis in the Middle East, Walz came off as nervous, fumbling over talking points. Vance tried to avoid the question. Because why talk about Iran when you can remind folks you wrote the New York Times bestseller Hillbilly Elegy?

It’s funny.
I needed the laugh.

13 Likes

I agree with their analysis except for this:

WALZ CLAIM: Walz said, “Trump hasn’t paid any federal tax in the last 15 years.”

FACT-CHECK: False

Well, false-ish? We don’t have his records for most years, and for the ones we do, sometimes he has paid taxes, sometimes not. What is unquestionably true is that this asshole who claims to have billions only occasionally pays any income tax. That is the point.

21 Likes

And Walz wasn’t in China at the exact same time as the Tiananmen Square protests like he said he was! :scream:

(Sheesh, what a weak gotcha that was…)

14 Likes

The chief thing i’ve always hoped for from “debate moderators” (and have generally been disappointed) is “You failed to answer, or even address that last question asked.” after every incident in which that occurs. …in vance’s case, last evening, that’d have been about half of them. @#!

13 Likes

My takeaway:

Walz is more in touch with his humanity, and comes across as more likeable.
His language choices were more approachable, easier to listen to as a human.

Vance is the better debater, form-wise, but sucks at techniques, tactics, and truth-telling. He’s such an obvious liar.

Walz did fumble his when-he-was-in-China answer.

That’s hardly as bad as Vance gaslighting all of us about Jan6. Walz landed some zingers on that, and of course Coach Walz schooling Vance on Real Life Facts Re Abortion® was so needed and real.

Walz seemed far better prepared. And he does come from a place of actual direct power: governorship. Making life and death decisions on that job. And you can hear that in his answers.

18 Likes

Agreed all around.

Yup, and he’s also such an oleaginous sincerity faker. His occasional efforts to appear folksy and down to earth were transparently calculated. Like Mr. Burns choking down a hot dog.

17 Likes

I should have had a Vance-specific bingo card for the number of times he mentioned his kids, his wife, his grandmother, his mother, etc. His efforts to splice in these mentions were clumsy and felt weird.

Y’know… weird.

Weird GIF

15 Likes

oleaginous

adjective

ole·​ag·​i·​nous ˌō-lē-ˈa-jə-nəs

Synonyms of oleaginous

: resembling or having the properties of oil : oily

also : containing or producing oil

: marked by an offensively ingratiating manner or quality

oleaginously adverb

oleaginousness noun

TIL! Excellent word!

20 Likes

ezgif-3-8979408117

11 Likes

“see also:”

Ted Cruz Filibuster GIF by GIPHY News

Donald Trump GIF by GIPHY News

10 Likes

Damitol did not provide meaningfully different outcomes from a placebo. Do not take Damitol if you are allergic to Damitol. Users of Damitol reported insomnia, irratibility, and headaches.

17 Likes

Fuckitol has a high risk of dependency and may lead to lethargy and ennui. For short term use only. Recommended alternatives: Bringiton or Fixitol.

23 Likes

NPR’s fact check includes this bit of data I was not aware of. I wish it would come up more!
VP debate fact check: Vance and Walz on the economy, immigration and more : NPR

Immigration

VANCE: “And then I think you make it harder for illegal aliens to undercut the wages of American workers. A lot of people will go home if they can’t work for less than minimum wage in our own country, and by the way, that will be really good for our workers who just want to earn a fair wage for doing a good day’s work.”

As the vice presidential candidates discuss how to address concerns over immigration, increased migration — both legal and illegal — has helped to grow the labor force in recent years, allowing employers to keep adding jobs at a rapid clip without putting much upward pressure on prices.

Over the last 12 months, for example, the foreign-born workforce has grown by nearly 1.5 million people while the native-born workforce has shrunk by 768,000 people — mostly due to retirements, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Were it not for the influx of immigrant workers, the U.S. economy would likely be shrinking.

They do not appear to be displacing native-born workers.

The share of working-age men who were in the workforce in August was 89.5% — higher than all but one month during the Trump administration. The share of working-age women who were in the workforce last month was the highest ever — 78.4%.

25 Likes

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

14 Likes

https://www.flints.com/product/All/DPP20015?proddesc=Fixitol-P-5Kg&category=flints-water-based-dyes&catdesc=Flints-Water-Based-Dyes

Huh.

Maybe I should just go with Bringiton.
Oh wait.
I’m already taking that one.
[reads bottle] “may cause bouts of amnesia”

Checks out!

9 Likes
8 Likes

GIF by Hyper RPG

27 Likes

Dana Milbank’s column at WAPO today was titled, “At debate, Vance whines: You weren’t supposed to fact-check me!” :rofl:

19 Likes

I was also getting a “Bell riots/sanctuary district” and maybe a touch of Fyre Festival tone to it.

7 Likes

14 Likes