Vice Presidential candidates debate, 1 Oct 2024

Not a U.S. media source, so it might actually stick.

12 Likes

Just gonna part this screengrab right here, in case they change… the words…

22 Likes

24 Likes

I bet almost every woman watching felt one moderator’s politely sarcastic “thank you for describing the legal process” in her bones.

18 Likes
6 Likes

from cnn via the guardian ticker;

Following the debate, 59% of debate watchers said they had a favorable view of Walz, with just 22% viewing him unfavorably – an improvement from his already positive numbers among the same voters pre-debate (46% favorable, 32% unfavorable).

Debate watchers came away with roughly net neutral views of Vance following the debate: 41% rated him favorably and 44% unfavorably. That’s also an improvement from their image of Vance pre-debate, when his ratings among this group were deeply underwater (30% favorable, 52% unfavorable).

59% vs 41% is hopefuly what I think it means?

13 Likes

And “changing regulations and making federal land available” means destroying wilderness, but to people who don’t realise that it looks much better than a down payment on buying a house if you can find one.

11 Likes

28 Likes

I think Walz succeeded in doing no harm, and Vance failed to make the fascists more palatable. The two standout moments for me were “Hey, you guys aren’t allowed to fact-check me!” and refusing to say if Il Douche lost in 2020. Walz did flub the “you weren’t actually in Hong Kong during Tiananmen.” But overall, he did well enough. Vance is smooth, no doubt. Especially compared to tRump. And if you were not too informed on the issues to realize he was lying out his ass, he could come across sincere. But, largely speaking, that’s not the crowd here. I do not think he changed any minds, and that was what he had to do. So, next!

24 Likes

Yep! I watched, and I agree with your summary.

They say vp debates just don’t matter, and this one likely won’t either. Still, what sticks in my craw is that, as you say, Vance will have come across as smooth and sincere, while actually being a nasty, racist, misogynistic Nazi! Walz did well in reassuring voters that he’s stable, likable and on top of things, but I wish he’d also gone for Vance’s jugular a couple of times. It’s a huge fascist vein, so not that hard to hit.

20 Likes

That fact checking flub should have been game over in any rationale timeline. Whining: “you’re not supposed to call out my lies!” is never a good look.

18 Likes

I suspect it is a good look-- to MAGAts. They’re always the victims, you see, and Vance was just pointing out that the liberal media can’t stop itself from fact-checking Donuld and JD far, far more often than they do Harris and Walz, who [supposedly] lie every time they open their mouths. You see.

:angry: :weary:

17 Likes

I have to agree with them, though. The media should fact check Harris and Walz as much as they do TFG and Shillbilly.

How awesome would it be to hear the moderators saying: “That’s true” after each of their statements?

17 Likes

I suggest we give them something else to look at…

GIF by Giphy QA

11 Likes

Other facets of such a mass deportation…

• a big vacuum is created in the U.S. workforce, including the U.S. construction industry which will face a shortage of workers:

• The vast majority (96.7%) of Mexican undocumented workers are working and contributing to the economy and are vital to critical American industries including agriculture (11.5 percent of the workforce), construction (6.7 percent), and the tourism and hospitality sector (3.4 percent).
  • Given their productivity and their numbers, Mexican undocumented immigrants are significant economic contributors to the American economy. In 2019 alone, they earned almost $92 billion in household income and contributed almost $9.8 billion in federal, state, and local taxes.
  • Mexican undocumented immigrants held more than $82.2 billion in spending power, money that often goes back into local economies as they spend on housing, consumer goods, and services. …
  • and a portion of working people who pay U.S. taxes is by definition, deported:

• Undocumented immigrants paid $96.7 billion in federal, state, and local taxes in 2022. Most of that amount, $59.4 billion, was paid to the federal government while the remaining $37.3 billion was paid to state and local governments.
  • Undocumented immigrants paid federal, state, and local taxes of $8,889 per person in 2022. In other words, for every 1 million undocumented immigrants who reside in the country, public services receive $8.9 billion in additional tax revenue.
  • More than a third of the tax dollars paid by undocumented immigrants go toward payroll taxes dedicated to funding programs that these workers are barred from accessing. Undocumented immigrants paid $25.7 billion in Social Security taxes, $6.4 billion in Medicare taxes, and $1.8 billion in unemployment insurance taxes in 2022.
  • At the state and local levels, slightly less than half (46 percent, or $15.1 billion) of the tax payments made by undocumented immigrants are through sales and excise taxes levied on their purchases. Most other payments are made through property taxes, such as those levied on homeowners and renters (31 percent, or $10.4 billion), or through personal and business income taxes (21 percent, or $7.0 billion).
  • Six states raised more than $1 billion each in tax revenue from undocumented immigrants living within their borders. Those states are California ($8.5 billion), Texas ($4.9 billion), New York ($3.1 billion), Florida ($1.8 billion), Illinois ($1.5 billion), and New Jersey ($1.3 billion).
  • In a large majority of states (40), undocumented immigrants pay higher state and local tax rates than the top 1 percent of households living within their borders. …
22 Likes

Oh to live in a world where such facts matter.

:face_with_diagonal_mouth: :pensive:

13 Likes

That drives me nuts, too, but it’s a common mispronunciation. I’ve heard Harris say it like that, too. To be fair, drug names ending in “ol” are really common. Most of them are beta blockers (atenolol, metoprolol, etc), but still…people’s ears are used to hearing that ending for drug names.

11 Likes

(Reaches for that bottle of Damitol)

17 Likes

I agree that we commonly hear drugs end “-ol” and you cited solid examples. Also on that list: Tylenol, paracetamol, (if you are old like me: Midol,) and arguably, alcohol.

I admit I find it grating that officials who are empowered to, say, call a nuclear strike and end life on our planet sometimes are the same people who say “new-cue-lerrrr” (George W. Bush, for one), and that officials empowered to sort out drug policy and healthcare [for millions of people] are down with the “-ol” pronunciation for drugs that are killing people and making evil people rich.

I blame “being an English major” for $100 please Alex.

13 Likes

Does that stuff work?
I ran out of Fukitol 20 years ago.

22 Likes