Vice Presidential candidates debate, 1 Oct 2024

Walz doesn’t get the quote perfectly, but mentions Maya Angelou’s “when someone tells you who they are, believe them”.

13 Likes

JV Dunce further demonstrated that he is a disingenuous asshole.

14 Likes

I am excited to vote for Harris/Walz.

13 Likes

Closing statements.

W: Thanks everyone. Democracy matters. I am as surprised as anyone else re endorsements from Taylor Swift, Dick Cheney, Bernie. Freedom really means something.

T told us who he is. Quotes Maya Angelou. T: American carnage. Harris gives us different option. DT makes people I care about afraid. Harris is new way forward, centering you.

V: talks about energy; invokes his granny; “I believe we are a rich and prosperous nation” and blames Harris that people can’t afford to turn on heat. Blames Harris for fentiNOL crisis. Is claiming “her policies have made this country worse.” “People are praying for me.” “We have the most beautiful country.” American dream. Broken country. We need change. We need a president who has done this once before.

WTF, that makes no sense.

Close.

ETA:

ETA2:

It’s not “fentaNOL.”

In fairness, Walz said “nucular” once.

Okokok no one’s perfect.

13 Likes

Oh, Vance dropped in “beautiful”. You know who he’s pandering to.

11 Likes

In conclusion, I don’t think the debate is likely to change a lot of minds but Vance formed lots of complete sentences and didn’t shit himself so he beat Trump’s debate performance by a country mile.

Now the question is whether Trump has the self-restraint to take advantage of the veneer of normalcy Vance brought to the table or whether he immediately undoes it all by grabbing the spotlight back for himself.

19 Likes

seth meyers good job GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

19 Likes

The after-debate (on PBS, at least) has a lot of panelists claiming Vance took the night.

What did they watch?

11 Likes

I’m a bit disappointed ​that there were no questions about couch fucking. Alas, that bingo square shall remain un-stamped.

12 Likes

Yeah, that’s messed up. I mean, Vance was polished through his lying and gaslighting. But Walz was genuine, and was genuinely good with his answers and rebuttals. He had Vance against the ropes a number of times (especially the whole J6 2020 part).

12 Likes

Another example of how Trump set the expectations incredibly low for the Republican candidate.

15 Likes

He doesn’t.

But he’s got campaign staffers for guardrails, of a sort.
Since T’s campaign is all about him him him and uh yeah staying outta jail and avoiding legal consequences re his many lawsuits and criming, he’s going to be grabbing up as much of that spotlight as he can.

And he will attribute any positives re Vance to himself.

Vance sure did a ton of… um… fan service… tonight.
SO GROSS!

ETA: corrected typo

12 Likes

I’m gonna rewatch this tomorrow:

What bugged me most was hearing Vance repeat that 45 represents common sense and wisdom, followed by statements that demonstrated the opposite. It’s made me nuts hearing him repeatedly elevating Harris’ job description and claiming the VP is responsible for / controls everything the executive branch does. I mean, “the Harris-Biden Administration?” :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

The VP candidate made it clear he either doesn’t know what the VP does, or that he’s just a liar who wants to repeat as many demonizing GOP talking points as possible.

22 Likes

“JD Vance is the 1st vice presidential candidate in history that doesn’t know who won the last election” - Lawrence O’Donnell

27 Likes

i can’t help but wonder: who was president ( and who controlled congress ) while vance’s grandma was struggling to get food on the table…

ah yes, that would be a republican: george shrub.

guess he should have thought about that before blaming harris. who apparently has been president for vance’s entire life

18 Likes

Good point.

And if anyone continues to be worried about the youngest voting generation: my 23yo texted this to me (she and her friends were watching):

Saddened that kamala introduced fentanyl to our fine country :pensive:

The kids are alright!

16 Likes

yeah that was weird, how everything bad that ever happened is definitely because of Harris

Democratic National Convention Dnc GIF

12 Likes

Though according to Vance, Vance should be blaming Dick Cheney, as apparently the VP is the one who enacts policy

15 Likes

Yes.
In every way imaginable.

16 Likes

I’m shocked, shocked at this coverage:

I wonder if the tone of the headlines will change overnight. :thinking:

18 Likes