Video: Cops fired shots at protesters, including kids, as Trump was leaving Arizona rally

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/26/video-cops-fired-shots-at-pro.html

9 Likes

We have a second home in AZ. We had hoped to retire there. I am honestly not excited about the prospect at all. I was always hesitant, but spouse wanted to buy there, so I relented.

Very little I’ve seen of the “leadership” there makes me happy about spending my twilight years there. Hopefully things will get better in the next 5-7 years.

13 Likes

I wish you luck. The place has been a mess since the 19th century (Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, etc).

I got sick of city politics (in CA) and moved out to the country only a short drive away. It made a pretty big difference in my ability to ignore the nonsense that used to upset me.

9 Likes

Security also forcibly ejected a black journalist/photographer from Trump’s rally

33 Likes

Once again, we see that there’s no danger of American police culture actually internalising the messages sent by protesters about violence.

37 Likes

Looks like AZ central got this memo. Good for them.

9 Likes

Are you in touch with anyone there, any allies there who would be likely to work for this positive scenario? Are you willing to pitch in, in whatever capacity you can manage? Can you support the work of Arizonans already working on your behalf, after your own interests?

The reason I ask is because so often it takes more than “hopefully” wishing to make real changes for the better.

The soon-to-be-your-neighbors in Arizona will be your community and safety net as you age. The lives you save or improve have a direct bearing on your own, if you still choose to live there in future.

13 Likes

Look, if you don’t want your precious snowflake to get hurt at a protest, then simply don’t raise them to understand their rights and freedoms and to use said rights to speak truth to an increasingly, corrupt power.

19 Likes

No, they’re still covered by “qualified immunity”, the “blue shield” of other cops and AGs not willing to prosecute.

8 Likes

How horrible, but his story gave me hope. Apparently stating your rights and filming whenever possible still frightens them. Good.

6 Likes

…and still today the people who brag about 2nd amendment are the ones who need it the less.

7 Likes

Hello, I am the one who recorded and uploaded the video to my channel (SiccManic), which I’m totally okay with you using! If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I was right there in the mix! Thank you.
-SiccManic

50 Likes

Keep up the good fight, both in terms of protesting and making public record of the response!

21 Likes

Thank you I will. I’m just a few hundred YT subscribers short of the 1,000 needed to livestream from mobile, so I’m very hopeful I get those followers so I can stream live future Phoenix protests!

26 Likes

All the cops need to do is provide an excuse. They know the conservative echo-chamber will promote it for them, no matter how unreasonable.

“Someone assaulted a police officer. . . so we fired pepper balls and flash-bangs at everyone else.”

15 Likes

I wish.  

What part?

6 Likes

Thanks for documenting this and welcome to BBS!

16 Likes

A senior Trump campaign official confirmed that Mr. Speed was ejected from the rally but said it was because he broke safety rules.

How useful to have rules that are actively discouraged unless …

7 Likes

Sounds arbitrary and capricious, eh?

6 Likes

Sahuarita, outside of Tucson.

2 Likes