Video surfaces of Canadian Prime Minister in blackface

And what was that weird British sci-fi show? Primeval, I think. He played a good heavy. And then of course, he was Doran Martel in Game of Thrones…

10 Likes
4 Likes

But the less said about his role in Gotham, the better. He was fine in the roles. The scripts were not so good.But he wasn’t in BSG, that was James Callis.

4 Likes

I thought @beschizza was being facetious, and that it was funny. While the actors don’t look much alike, the similarity was uncanny.

7 Likes

Nothing would justify voting for Scheer. Pretty much flat-out, no exceptions, no-way no-how.

1 Like

As a Canadian voter, I am right there with you.

Trudeau is distasteful for this (and many other reasons), but he’s done more to advance a number of progressive causes than any PM I’ve ever lived under.

Scheer is just a milquetoast Trump wannabe. His election would put the country back at least half a century.

The rest of the parties pretty much have no chance of attaining even a minority government.

So given everything that’s likely, I’d rather have Trudeau.

Who am I kidding, I live in Saskatchewan and am not Conservative, so my vote doesn’t count anyway.

5 Likes

If I were up there, I’d might still vote for Trudeau, but pretty much in the same way I voted for Clinton, without much enthusiasm.

6 Likes

One of Trudeau’s apologies contains the following:

“People are still facing racism every day,” he said. “Systemic discrimination still exists, in our schools, university, workplaces, and our communities. We must pledge ourselves to make sure we make it better.”

Well. that’s true, Justin, but there are probably 36 million-plus Canadians who have never put on blackface once, much less three or maybe more times. Don’t try to deflect criticism of what you did by trying to blame the rest of the country.

I wasn’t fortunate enough to have parents with your thoughtful guidance. I’m embarrassed to say that a 13 year old me went to school as Homie the Clown for Halloween. To be fair I didn’t know the history about black face. Not sure but I don’t remember my folks saying anything. My hippy parents had a laze fair nurturing philosophy.

I feel the same as Melz on that one. The ending makes it all worth while as it puts itself into that very spotlight.

Self awareness in a story allows for some greater latitude.

Now that being said it’s not a good movie as a whole. In fact I’d argue only the very last 15 min are rewatchable.

1 Like

Trump’s going to offer to buy Canada.

2 Likes

If this results in Scheer winning, he’ll just give it to him.

Why are so many people as upset about this as if it happened yesterday? In the 80s and 90s that I lived through, this kind of thing was considered to be a medium deal at best, and often no big deal at all. It took a long time for the understanding that it really is a big deal to penetrate the heads of most white Americans, and I assume the same for Canadians.

As a kid, I was quite conscious of race and racism, as my mother had dated a couple of non-white men, yet I performed in yellowface in children’s theatre and thought I was just following theatrical tradition. If I were the same age today, I am sure I would refuse, but back then, I didn’t know enough to understand the problem with it. The few Asian kids in the production did not raise any concerns either, though I have no idea of how they felt.

I am truly puzzled when people say “he should have known better.” It would have been nice if he knew better, sure. That he didn’t speaks more to the culture of the day than it does him, it seems to me.

He should have.

12 Likes

Thread:

ETA: I should note that the same applies when a male progressive is caught being abusive or sexually harassing or assaulting people.

13 Likes

don’t forget the striped pajamas

3 Likes

Even he himself has stated he should have known better. Why do so many people insist on giving him a free pass he doesn’t deserve and hasn’t even asked for?

10 Likes
2 Likes

Because white men are never wrong?

9 Likes