Vladimir Putin has been showing off his black belt for years, but no more. He's now beltless

I think different federations have different rules. For the 2 martial arts I studied extensively one had a requirement of a specific minimum number of hours of training to be eligible to test for the next Kyu or Dan and the other with only Dan rankings was solely at the discretion of the sensei.

Edit: I hope your son has lots of fun with Judo. It’s great physical and mental exercise.

3 Likes

I have to correct myself. My kid falls under age limits, under the age of 15 you can’t take certain tests anyway.

But it is possible to advance 3 degrees in one year under German rules, all taken separately, of course.

Not knowing much about Judo – I don’t care care about my kid’s degrees, as long as he likes going there and doing sports I’ll pay that membership – this looks somewhat sensible to me.

4 Likes

Many ads for open faculty positions state that an “earned” PhD is required, presumably to distinguish those from honorary degrees.

3 Likes

Just meaning that I took classes and completed a dissertation. Regular, traditional, whatever…

5 Likes

It seems a little weirder to me, because you can’t tell from looking at the belt whether it is honourary or not. Like, in the US, honourary degrees are always Doctor Of Letters or Doctor Of Science, that sort of thing (not real degrees given any other way). Those are real degrees in some other places (the UK for example), but the degrees also have honoris causa added to the title. “Doctor Of Letters Honoris Causa”. That doesn’t stop some hucksters from claiming to be real doctors based on those, but at least if you get your hands on the document you can see it isn’t real.

Maybe the belts need to have “BS” stitched into them somewhere.

2 Likes

Big like rodeo trophy buckles.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.