Walmart parking lot bollard gives the 11 ft 8in bridge a run for its money

You raise some good points, but you’re also far, far kinder to the local drivers than I would be. They are truly monsters. They forced me to enter the automotive arms race and upsize from a small hybrid coupe to a big old truck, they’re that scary.
In that parking lot, to hit that bollard at these speeds, all within a parking lot, mind you, they are blasting around a corner turning left cutting far into the right lane of the lane meeting it at a t. Which has a stop sign, so there’s little reason to think they are trying to get through an unruly intersection.
It’s not far from me. I’ll see if I can get some good pics one of these fine days. Walmart’s not my jam, but this bollard issue is intriguing. And the Sun Journal article, I’d take it with a grain of salt. LaFlamme is entertaining, but his reporting leaves a lot to be desired. “Reporting via Facebook posts” is one of his go-to moves. :unamused:

19 Likes

Coming soon, a picture of @ClutchLinkey vehicle propped up on a bright green bollard.

20 Likes

Can testify.

3 Likes

That would be a good pic. But let’s hope not. :crossed_fingers:

11 Likes

Or open a Shaolin training center, so that the bollards are more visible and better defended?

17 Likes

This seems relevant to the thread, as well as all the 11ft8 threads:

14 Likes

Obviously what we need is more good cars with guns.

12 Likes

Thank U Reaction GIF by CBS

7 Likes

Or snow plows.

8 Likes

It’s an option. It’s called The Vesuvius Lift.

5 Likes

I’m disappointed in my fellow commentators today.

5 Likes

45 minutes of kvetching.

3 Likes

Seemed like the joke had been made already

6 Likes

Are you saying we’re in a post-joke environment?

12 Likes

I was waiting to see how he cleaned and sharpened it. :woman_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

I guess that puts you in pole position.

11 Likes

In William Gibson’s Blue Ant Trilogy there’s a fictional band called ‘The Bollards’.

5 Likes

The purpose of a bollard is harm reduction. Through that lens, is the bollard effective? If it’s actually preventing multi-vehicle (edit: or pedestrian) collisions due to the improper driving behavior, then yes. That said, given the (admittedly limited and biased) evidence provided, it’s unclear whether this is the case.

5 Likes

Maybe replace it with one or two of these retractable types.

7 Likes

Just over a week ago, I heard an explosion. I looked out the window to see a semi trailer stuck on a bollard. The explosion was the tire blowing off the rim.

13 Likes