Warnock wins Georgia senate runoff

The list below shows answers to common questions regarding recounts in Georgia.[1]

• Does state law require automatic recounts?

• No.
  • When must an automatic recount be completed?

• There are no automatic recounts in this state.
  • Can a recount be requested?

• Yes. Election officials, including the secretary of state, may request recounts under certain circumstances explained below. These recounts may be conducted before the certification of election results. A losing candidate may also request a recount if the margin is less than or equal to 0.5%. This threshold was set in 2019 following the passage of H.B. 319. There are no set deadlines for the completion of a candidate-requested recount.

And no recount!

30 Likes

Thank goodness. Anyone in Georgia who voted for Walker should be ashamed of themselves, but since they have no shame I’ll be satisfied with their disappointment in losing.

it means that the party’s majority no longer depends upon West Virginia “coal baron” Joe Manchin or self-absorbed poseur Kyrsten Sinema.

I hope the party takes the opportunity to punish both of them. It’s been rewarding their crappy, disloyal behaviour for far too long.

Shame, then, that New York’s parade of useless, corrupt Democrat hacks tossed half the state, and with it the House, to the GOP.

That’s what complacency and expectation of easy victories does to a state party: the fighters and the competent find other things to do and the machine crooks and the bunglers and failsons fill the vacuum.

32 Likes

thank goodness, but dang why do such clear choices have to be so dang close.

26 Likes

Gerrymandering, voter suppression, and entrenched racism, for starters…

36 Likes

I guess Walker will stay in the hotel a few more days, then get back on the plane to go home to Texas.

21 Likes

Peak “Math you do as a republican to make yourself feel better”.

10 Likes

I figure he can go home to Texas and start his campaign to primary Ted Cruz in 2024.

10 Likes

It is amazing how confidently Newt Gingrich can spout political punditry on national television given how his predictions are almost invariably, spectacularly wrong. It must just come with practice.

Of course there’s also a good chance that Fox News knew that Newt calling the race for Walker was complete bullshit but wanted to set the stage for the inevitable accusations of fraud.

26 Likes

CNN and Fox News both called it around the time Rob posted. More importantly, Walker conceded soon after.

As of now, Warnock is nearly 60k votes ahead with 99% of the vote counted, most what remains is in deep blue Fulton county.

It’s done. Game over.

Good.

24 Likes

Wanna bet Walker thinks he just canceled his Hulu subscription?

21 Likes
14 Likes

Technically it still depends on Manchin or Sinema, instead of Manchin and Sienma.

Anyway this is great news, and thanks to all the people of Georgia who helped this happen.

18 Likes

While you’re entirely correct, I can’t help but smile at the idea that Manchin’s phone won’t be blowing up all the time now with groveling. He may feel lonely.

One can hope, I guess.

3 Likes

This was closer than it should have been. I’m happy for it, though. But now we have to put the pressure on our reps to make this victory count. The work is unfortunately never done.

10 Likes

Absolutely. If the fascists could get this close with a candidate like Walker then they probably could have won by a landslide if they’d run a candidate who could string a few coherent sentences together. At least now the Democrats have a solid foothold to build on for future elections.

27 Likes

19 Likes

Before, any one of the Terrible Two could gum up the works. Now it would have to be both of them since Kamala Harris can break any tie.

15 Likes

That’s some terrible information design on the map there (as discussed elsewhere) since there’s no way to tell from the map alone that those blue areas awash in a sea of red represent the majority of Georgia voters, but I do like the result.

19 Likes

23 Likes

It’s really disturbing it’s this close - I mean, Walker is basically the worst possible candidate that could have run. He’s got a fairly serious criminal history, he’s additionally guilty of things that are actually offensive to his base, he’s not just generally ignorant but specifically so politically ignorant he wasn’t even sure if he was running for House or Senate, he had no policy proposals (or at least none that were remotely sane), he’s clearly got serious cognitive and behavioral issues, and overall generally has nothing to recommend him for politics. Yet people were willing to vote for him for no other reason than the (R) next to his name. Not one of his voters gave a shit about policies or ability or even decency, because conservative politics is divorced from those things entirely.

29 Likes