Warnock wins Georgia senate runoff

that’s not a certainly. part of the attraction of walker was name recognition, the other part was maga.

someone else of his level of name recognition would be difficult. and as for maga, they don’t put forward coherent candidates because they are by definition incoherent

12 Likes

I think most people just underestimated the werewolf vote in Georgia.

teen wolf 80s GIF

20 Likes

Given their legendary penchant for self preservation, I’m guessing that neither werewolves* nor vampires* would vote for someone so incredibly lacking

**If they actually existed…

19 Likes

Living forever is a strong incentive not to have crazy legislators.

15 Likes

Walker is basically the worst possible candidate that could have run. He’s got a fairly serious criminal history, he’s additionally guilty of things that are actually offensive to his base, he’s not just generally ignorant but specifically so politically ignorant he wasn’t even sure if he was running for House or Senate, he had no policy proposals (or at least none that were remotely sane), he’s clearly got serious cognitive and behavioral issues, and overall generally has nothing to recommend him for politics.

Reminds me of TFG.

20 Likes

Well, that’s some good news. 51 to 49 is much better than 50-50.

11 Likes

So how long before all the recounts, voter fraud investigations, refusal to certify the counts, frivolous lawsuits, etc are done with?

3 Likes

Let’s hope so. The 2024 Senate map is pretty brutal in terms of how many seats the Democrats will need to defend vs Republicans. But they’ve definitely got at least two years to get stuff done and show the country why they deserve to remain in power, so let’s hope they make full use of that opportunity. (To the extent that’s possible with a minority in the House, anyway.)

7 Likes

OK, Americans, and Georgians in particular, today, for you all, I am…

6 Likes

Props to the brave women who came forward to speak truth to power, and helped defeat Walker.

Props to the Daily Beast for telling the story.

15 Likes

This is a definite win for democracy in America, but the margins are still scarily narrow. Just squeaking by isn’t going to save us in the long term.

6 Likes

Thank you, Warnock voters. As for New York, we who voted blue just sadly shake our head at some of our neighbors. thought we were better than that, and it is really appalling to find we were not.

8 Likes

Yes! Thanks to all the people of Georgia who helped this happen :smiley:

(And thanks to folks all over who helped, too. It would be interesting to know how much support the campaign received from people in other states—do they publish that kind of info somewhere? I know I for one sent a modest financial contribution from here in Minnesota. And I think maybe people could help phone bank from anywhere? The rest of us care about Georgia too :hugs: :heart: )

8 Likes

I hope at least some of you then get off your asses and start putting together a ground game like the one led by Stacey Abrams and others. By no means did this victory just fall down on Georgia from the big blue.

13 Likes

It our current political environment, demographics rule all. And as time passes, the whole country will trend bluer. This is the main reason for the frantic scrambling on the right to end voting and move to a “just declare the Repub the winner” system. If they fail to end democracy, democracy will end them.

21 Likes

But people tend to get more conservative as they age, to some extent cancelling out the effect you observe. (?)

Exactly. Now they’ll have to play against each other because only one will get what they want. It vastly reduces their power, since it’s unlikely they’ll be loyal to each other.

Thank you, Georgians, and everyone else who helped!

16 Likes

as time passes, both parties adjust their strategies so they each can just barely win without having to make concessions to more voters than necessary

in 50 years they’ll be fighting over different things, but there is no one party utopia coming

7 Likes

Maybe, but we really can’t take that for granted. Somehow the former president actually increased his share of Latino voters by about 8% between 2016 and 2020 (although Biden still won the majority) and he also saw a slight increase in the percentage of Asian voters supporting him.

Can’t sit back and assume that demographics will solve our problems.

2 Likes

GIF by TV One

This was WAY to fucking close.

Praising John Goodman GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

Because we’re in the stupid timeline where one political party would rather burn the country down then face our shared problems.

Yeah, that too…

Anthony Bourdain Yes GIF by Ovation TV

I live here, so…

Harry Potter GIF

amy poehler smiling GIF

The focus needs to be on the rural parts of the state. ATL, etc, is a lock, but places like where MTG is rep need a sustained campaign as to WHY the GOP isn’t working for them anymore.

26 Likes