Was Melania's WH tennis pavilion based on the one from The Beverly Hillbillies?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/11/was-melanias-wh-tennis-pavilion-based-on-the-one-from-the-beverly-hillbillies.html

4 Likes

Such good taste and high-class sensibilities! /s

10 Likes

How to use it? The Bidens should, at the very least, dig the cement pond, and use it with the tennis court net for in water volleyball. Joe can lifeguard on his off days. His innate abilities to learn new things? Getting certification as an in water volleyball referee to add to his Presidential legacy, not to mention a most proper wink and nod to Jed, Granny, Jethro and Elly May and to the last dying vestiges of the bubblin crude…
I, for one, have never understood why the White House has never been equipped with a functional outdoor “cement pond”… it’s way past time. Can you dig it?

5 Likes

American Neo-neo-neo-classic architecture looks all the same. I wouldn’t draw any conclusions from it other than that the designer was fresh out of original ideas.

20 Likes

I hope the new tenents raze the tennis pavilion and restore Jackie’s rose garden.

11 Likes

…(Not to mention all the gold plated plumbing fixtures and Melanomia’s penchant for gilding each and every lily that Donnie snorts)

3 Likes

The actual designer was dutifully following the orders of Her Maga-isty…

3 Likes

“Eez vary glamorous and elegant, dahlink, no?”

10 Likes

I say conjur the ghost of nam jun paik & construct a forever tv in its place

3 Likes

Can we please just turn the White House into a museum? Let the president live where they want. Trump’s been down in FL golfing for most of his term in office, Melina has been in NYC trying to keep Barron sane, Biden probably wants to stay in ML, and Harris would probably like to stay in CA.

To heck with the tennis pavilion. There are better courts elsewhere.

3 Likes

The Southern District of New York and The 4th Circuit in Virginia both spring to mind. May Trump play doubles with Giuliani at both of them very, very soon.

17 Likes

I’m just waiting. They better pull through before he absconds to a non-extradition country.

6 Likes

They could always hire the current incarnation of Blackwater to ‘recover’ him to the US. Loyalty, ya know.

3 Likes

But, why can’t those bushes out front be symmetrical like everything else. Gah!

1 Like

Looks like a good office location for organizing MEDICARE FOR ALL.

5 Likes

Or they’re each based on an ignorant person’s view of what rich people’s houses are supposed to look like, both from the same ridiculous “columns 'n parapets” school of classical architecture.

4 Likes

The rose garden is in a different location and is actually still a (shitty, completely stripped of character and legacy) rose garden. The tennis pavilion has been there for a while, but was converted to a basketball court by Obama. Guess why the trumps were suddenly so interested in erasing it?

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone from Green Acres made it to Berverly Hills.
The intersection happened when Jed and the family went back to their old homestead.

1 Like

Except, when the Clampetts moved in, all of tbat existed already.

So did Melania copy the tv show, or copy what existed before that?

Whoever ran the show on Hillbillies used that mansion because they thought it looked like the epitome of “wealth”. Even the original owner (who had it commissioned!) thought it looked pretentious, and never lived there. So I guess it started with architects using dumb neoclassical designs trying to make rich people happy, and ended with Melania going along with it because she didn’t know any better.

2 Likes