Watch: Dave Grohl crashes God-fearing protestors with a spectacular surprise

As a native Kansan, you should know well enough by now that Kansas always ends up the butt end of the joke/story/news clip/whatever. Kansans are associated with Oz, Westboro, Pompeo, tornadoes, that story from Capote, sunflowers…and…uh…that’s unfortunately about it. Well, I guess if you’re a history nerd you know about the Kansas Nebraska Act and the fallout from that. Unfortunately, sadly, that’s what most outsiders know of rectangular-ass “flyover country”.

3 Likes

He sings like a natural Bee-Gee as well.

3 Likes

Nirvana was there?!?

11 Likes

6 Likes

Loves trumps hate. I hate typing the former guys name… it’s like summoning the Hate Pumpkin. Beetlejuice, beetlejuice, authoritarian incompetent racist neo nazi f!ckstain McClownstick.
Dang, typed it again!

9 Likes

What are you angling at? :wink:

3 Likes

8 Likes

Sigh… they are. They don’t get as much media recognition as they used to. I guess their level of trolling is blasé now. They also don’t have Fred around anymore to sue places and their court cases aren’t in the news (AFAIK).

They were at my college graduation and several concerts I’ve been to over the years. They always leave before the show is over because you’re more likely to punch someone in the mouth when you’re done doing the thing you went there for. :confused:

There have been some interesting counter points to them that have popped up in Topeka - the Equality House was set up across the street, and later the Mott (Transgender) house next door.

13 Likes

Cool mural of David Spade.

18 Likes

Yep. And a Neil Young quote

The artists intent was something like this:
Gandalf Quote

14 Likes

What’s doubly sad is that Kurt Cobain was not the first to use that quote:

(Yes, I’m hip that Neil Young sang it long before that. Sadly, gifs of him are in short supply. )

18 Likes

Not the first time…

18 Likes

Good Grohl! That is uncanny! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

5 Likes

8 Likes

The best selling things at IKEA?

5 Likes

Ha.

Though actually the name is supposed to have Kansa-Osage native origins, though it isn’t certain of the original meaning.

3 Likes

When I was growing up in Lawrence, my dad used to tell a dad joke about how Topeka got its name. He said that it was short for toto, peepee and kaka, the local words for vomit, piss and shit, respectively.

He always avoided the place like the plague.

2 Likes

I don’t know, the one in the red Shirt appears to be involuntarily moving to the groove.

1 Like

Things I know and love about Kansas:

My brother lives in Kansas.
A dear friend is from Lindsborg.

Kansans/Kansas state government is even learning a few things about the common good, and what happens when Sam Brownback tries to set up a tax-free libertarian paradise (later repealed):

Kansas is neither all “red” or all “conservative.”

9 Likes

Lindsborg is cool with all the Swedish/Scandinavian heritage.

One more thing to add, Birger Sandzén taught in Lindsborg and one of the few landscape artists I really like. We had some of his large format paintings at the Beach Museum of Art in Manhattan. Really great stuff.

2 Likes