Watch: Idaho professor says women should stay out of engineering – they belong at home with kids

Bewitched, bothered, bewildered, and befuddled…

I got a direct lesson in that after I transitioned and had my first job interview presenting as a woman for an engineering job. I had 15 years experience at that point, most of it doing exactly what this job entailed. I had interviewed for a number of jobs in my previous life, and they all had one thing in common. The interviewer always just took my qualifications on my resume for granted. I was never questioned on that, or tested, or anything remotely like that. The interviews were always more about my career goals, what I was interested in working on, etc. In other words, trying to figure out if I was a good fit for their company culture. When I interviewed presenting as a woman, the experience was totally different. I got quizzed, verbally. And I was not ready or prepared for an interview like that, and I got thrown off balance mentally, gave a stupid answer at one point, and did not get the job. It took me awhile to realize what had just happened. If anyone ever wants to question whether or not privilege is a real thing, just ask a trans person.

34 Likes

Can someone remind me what pills 1950s housewives were given by doctors?

24 Likes

Apparently this one was super popular:

https://www.homeeverafter.com/miltown-a-piece-of-1950s-homemaker-history/

21 Likes

Yes, though they only prescribed that one after a woman’s 19th nervous breakdown.

26 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

22 Likes

10 to 1 he’s divorced and alone. If not, I pity his wife.

5 Likes

The’re also “mother’s little helper”.

13 Likes

Don’t forget the amphetamines and valium!

16 Likes

Thank you for sharing that video. My experience has been very much like hers. That part about how when people are constantly questioning whether or not you know what you’re talking about starting to make you question yourself whether or not you know what you’re talking about…oof…yeah that’s definitely happened to me. Still happens to me. Also, I was not expecting the last two minutes of that to make me cry, but here we are. That hit a little too close to home as I’m still estranged from my parents. I’m glad hers tried to understand. Mine have not.

33 Likes

Aw… I’m sorry. That really does suck.

emergency hug GIF

Also…

You Are Awesome GIF

28 Likes

Ooh, that last gif is doubly appropriate. Colin Mochrie’s daughter is transgender, and he’s super supportive.

28 Likes

Oh, that’s right! I had forgotten about all that!

whose line is it anyway and so far its been fetch p GIF

22 Likes

Yup.

21 Likes

Now, now… it’s not REAL fascism unless it comes from Germany in the 1930s and 1940s… otherwise it’s only sparkling authoritarianism… /s

23 Likes

…you certainly know this:

Someone should replace the audio in Yenor’s speech with this.

15 Likes

That acronym always seems to be up to no good.

5 Likes

Seriously, I hadn’t heard this before! It’s not entirely true for my GenX cohort, but there are definitely kernels of truth about gender expectations in this song. :pensive:

8 Likes

He’s now earned a W.D. degree: Wad of the Dick.

2 Likes

I propose an addition to the “have children” part of the EIC tax write off, with credit to the “home care” individual for their labor.

5 Likes