Watch: Little girl has meltdown when she finds out she's going to have a baby brother and it's really cute

Because they don’t exist?

1 Like

halt-catch-fire-donna-oh-no

I mean, I guess there are some general things you can say about kids, but in my experience (with my own kid, her cousins, as well as the young people I teach history to every semester, who are pretty much still kids, etc), they really do take a great deal of individual care. All kids are different and all families have different ways of dealing with the problems they have. I’d have a hard time saying that the way I raise my kid is more correct for your family or another family. Yes, I do think consistency is important, but that can mean very different things. Some kids thrive in chaos, though. Some need a firmer hand, others don’t response to risk and reward. I’m thinking of a kid I know right now that risk and reward is sort of tricky to work out.

I didn’t think you meant that! All of us with kids know it’s a slog often times (but most of us find it a rewarding one).

idris-elba-thumbs-up

I’m glad to hear that! I’m a working parent with a ridiculously awesome kid (though I was a grad student for most of her life).

My general point is that each family is very different, and the things that work for some, don’t work for others.

4 Likes

There are parenting forums? They need a Popobawa intervention!

I’ve seen this family before. That kid won’t be happy until her little brother is living in the space under the stairs.

Okay, my response was probably misdirected, apologies.

I’m pretty frustrated with this thread, which is bouncing between, ‘there’s only one way to parent, and I know what it is’, and ‘I’m completely confident that these people are obviously bad parents because they did/didn’t do what I would/wouldn’t do’.

I have no idea if this little girl is a brat or an angel; nor does anyone from a 30sec video posted without context. But I don’t think I meant that to be directed at you particularly, so sorry for that.

1 Like

Moving to the Moon and blowing up the Earth has always appealed to me.

Apology accepted.

I have to say that being frustrated with this thread is an incredibly futile waste of time, IMO; outside of the parameters of the law, basic safety and avoiding neglect, no one can dictate to anyone else how they should parent their child.

Each kid, like each family is different; what works well for one may not work well for another.

It’s up to us as so-called ‘enlightened’ adults to resist the impulse that everyone must always conform to our way of thinking and respect that different methods can work equally well.

1 Like

I agree with all of this, Mindy. Particularly the part where I now get to draw some tenuous parallel between myself and Idris Elba.

2 Likes

Is that a temper tantrum? It just looks to me like the kid is upset and is having a bit of a cry. Is that really something to make a big deal about?

Groovy! Glad we came to agreement! I do get what you were saying though, especially about consistency, I just think that child rearing is so individualized and specific, that it’s hard to make any broad statements about it, ya know?

idris-elba-dancing

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.