Watch: Mitt Romney loudly booed by angry GQP mob

Originally published at: Watch: Mitt Romney loudly booed by angry GQP mob | Boing Boing

5 Likes

He should just vote with the Democrats. That’ll show those jerks!

15 Likes

So, the GOP finally agrees with me that Romney is a horrible person. We just differ on the reasons.

28 Likes

Dear Mittens…

11 Likes

Nope. Romney is not “squeaky clean”. Still, uncounted degrees better than McConnell or the Q’s.

21 Likes

Wow, that’s some bitter coffee.

11 Likes

tenor-7

20 Likes

But you were a fan of most of his policies, n’est pas?

15 Likes

Ronald Reagan famously told his staff

“The person who agrees with you 80 percent of the time is a friend and an ally - not a 20 percent traitor.”

Nowadays intra-party disagreements are more along the lines of the old joke:

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, “Don’t do it!” He said, “Nobody loves me.” I said, “God loves you. Do you believe in God?”
He said, “Yes.” I said, “Are you a Christian or a Jew?” He said, “A Christian.” I said, “Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?” He said, “Protestant.” I said, “Me, too! What franchise?” He said, “Baptist.” I said, “Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?” He said, “Northern Baptist.” I said, “Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?” He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist.” I said, “Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?” He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region.” I said, “Me, too!” Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?” He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912.” I said, “Die, heretic!” And I pushed him over.

25 Likes

Things are working out for this appeaser just as I expected.

26 Likes

How can this man endure this kind of crap, as well as death threats, and not just leave the GOP or politics altogether?

At some point he and Liz Cheney and everyone else that voted to impeach, as well as anyone else disgusted with Trump’s continuing stranglehold on the party, will have to give up.

Imagine if even a third of the GOP left and started a third party. They would still get death threats, but they would also have more power-- if the Trump GOP wants to get something done they would have to approach the “New Conservative Party”, hat in hands, and ask for votes.

8 Likes

Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

Move your party farther and farther towards the extremes for decades. What did you idiots think was going to happen?

11 Likes

17 Likes

After decades spent doing everything they could to preserve the nastier half of the duopoly system to the benefit of themselves and their wealthy cronies, members of the GOP establishment have cornered themselves into humiliation and irrelevance. If they want to retain power, they now have no choice but to continue compromising their own already rotten values to ally with bigots and religious nuts and fascists. Now their allies have taken over the party.

The Romneys and Cheneys and Bushes, etc., achieve the feat of being even more foolish than the Weimar conservatives. The latter could at least convince themselves that it was theoretically possible under their parliamentary system to form a coalition with the Nazis. In the U.S., the GOP’s tomorrow belongs to Josh Hawley and Tom Cotton and (always) to Biff and his family.

17 Likes

The Republican Party - 1854-2021. It’s been a wild ride.

9 Likes

You believe he’s horrible because he’s a conservative whose views prevent us from moving forward towards a more inclusive, better educated, healthier country where people are not forced into bankruptcy when they get ill and black people are not gunned down for petty crimes by racist cops.

They think he’s horrible because he’s not doing that stuff HARD enough.

30 Likes

i have a hard time understanding how they would distinguish themselves.

as the gop has become more and more anti-fact, pro-racism they’ve already lost politicians and voters to the dems.

to form a new gop, you’d have to drop all the hate and figure out what actual programs do you push that the democrats don’t already have the corner on?

maybe there’s some slight room between a bill clinton like person and a biden - smaller government versus “bigger” government. but then you’d have to get a lot of people to leave the dems and give up their hard won seats for it to work.

i don’t see that happening anytime soon. and biden, by actually working on some of the progressive programs he’d promised has provided a relief valve for a dem far left split.

10 Likes

We only see that short clip, but from the conciliatory tone, even in the face of relentless booing, it sounds like he’s going for:

"I know you don't like me, but can you please just let me get to the 'good part' where I say I don't like Biden's policies, OK?"

He’s trying to get them on his side with “we’re all Republicans, and we all like low taxes, strong defense, and conservative culture” but they won’t even let him get that far.

5 Likes

Not the Party I loved for over 30 years!

Sorry, TerryMcginness3 but that just isn’t true. The party has been headed to this point for decades, you just chose not to see it. In fact, you helped create it by cheering on Gingrich, Boehner, McConnell, Dubya, and all the rest. This is what you and your friends wanted.

18 Likes

Oooh, so sorry to hear that, Mitt.
Funny-Dog-Eating-Popcorn-Video-Gif

7 Likes