Watch this powerful short film about the awful things men say to Asian-American women in bars

Originally published at: Watch this powerful short film about the awful things men say to Asian-American women in bars | Boing Boing

7 Likes

In before the derailers complaining about the lack of consent given by these people clueless assholes to having themselves recorded.

22 Likes

From what women tell me, the approaches of most men in bars (and now on dating apps) in general have always been cloddish, cringeworthy and repulsive. I’d imagine the situation is far worse for women of colour, as I’ll assume this video demonstrates.

17 Likes

For bbsers. The bar scenes start at 5:30 –

14 Likes

Forget teaching taxes in high school. We should teach social etiquette and how to flirt.

4 Likes

For those… “derailers”… (a more diplomatic term than I would have used):

If this were recorded in a bar(s), then that is a public place and they have no reasonable expectation of privacy. The bar(s) may have a right to complain, but only if they publicly posted “no recording” signs.

I didn’t watch the short, because I didn’t want to start my day wading through a cesspool of misogyny and racism.

19 Likes

This woman’s face says volumes, the bar scenes made me sick to my stomach.

15 Likes

Better yet, teach boys that women are people, not prizes to be won… this is not an etiquette problem, it’s a misogyny problem.

40 Likes

Here’s a good, recent article on this topic…

11 Likes

“Your face is Asiatic”

Captain Obvious GIF by memecandy

ETA: Apologies to @Mindysan33 …I had to change this to the more apparent issue.

10 Likes

Yeah, the misogyny faced by women of color is even worse. It’s infuriating to see it.

16 Likes

The images of her getting ready to go out, enhancing her “Oriental” eyes versus taping them so they look more “Western,” are also powerful.

There’s a lot packed into this piece that those who aren’t of east Asian descent could learn from.

19 Likes

Yep. This is where intersectionality comes in. The specifics of what particular people have to face and how it shapes their daily activities matter.

19 Likes

In order to teach it, a lot of teachers need to learn it.

And once again, it’s not the problem here. This is a racism and misogyny problem, not a “flirt better” problem.

22 Likes

The quality of the pickup lines isn’t the issue here. It’s the worldview of the people delivering them.

That’s what makes the so-called “Pickup Artist” community so vile: the idea that women are sexual achievements to be unlocked with secret cheat codes rather than full-fledged human beings deserving of equal social standing and respect.

21 Likes

Holy crap, there’s a lot of my lived experience in this vid.
Thanks for posting.
I feel less alone.

19 Likes

I literally could not watch those scenes all the way through, and I am sickened at the fact that I can choose to not watch, while women simply have to endure this.

23 Likes

It’s a burden all women bear, for sure; and the added insult of fetishization is something I can personally relate to as a Biracial Black woman - it’s disheartening to see how many dudes just think we women only exist to facilitate their wants, needs and fantasies.

28 Likes

Shake It Happy Dance GIF by brandon wells

22 Likes