Weird, why was Campbell's Soup vice president Kelly Johnston tweeting racist #MigrantCaravan lies?

Yup. New Nazis hate all the same people in exactly the same way as the old Nazis.

2 Likes

When George Soros dies, who is will be the new Left Wing Boogie man?

Who will replace the Koch Bros for the Right Wing Boogie man?

The difference being, of course, that the Koch brothers are evil because of their actions, and Mr Soros only happens to be Jewish.

9 Likes

Both. Flipping out about a convoy of a few thousand people (many of whom won’t even make it anywhere near the US), when a decade ago they were intercepting about that many people every couple of days at the border, has to be premised on some racism.

Soros has become an international boogie man for neo-Fascists. For reasons that are entirely about his being Jewish and not particularly related to his highly centrist pro-democracy actions. What he’s being accused of doesn’t even make any damn sense. (Why the hell would a supposedly “leftist” anti-Trumper pay to bring a caravan of immigrants to America, for no other reason than apparently to give Trump a talking point to energize his base just before the midterms?)
It’s not that they’re blaming a group that “coincidentally” is run by a Jewish guy. The Jewish bit is the whole point - not actually naming him is the attempt at subtlety.

The difference is that the Koch Bros are doing exactly what they’re accused of (putting huge amounts of money where their explicitly anti-democratic, reactionary mouths are), whereas the plots Soros is accused of are entirely imaginary.
Anyone with the right qualifications (Jewish or non-white/non-Christian, rich, publicly known, non-reactionary) could potentially (and rather randomly) substitute for Soros as the central figure of wild conspiracies. When you’re creating fictions, you don’t need much reality to build them around.

Whereas there are any number of other rich assholes who are involved in sleazy covert actions and anti-democratic maneuvering (the Mercers, etc.) that should be given attention as well as the Kochs, the Kochs are in their own class. The Kochs have the most money and have been the most overt about wanting to destroy democracy. This is literally true - they’ve explicitly said that democracy is bad and have funded people with the aim of getting rid of it. Their groups have tendrils from the national to the city levels (e.g. working to destroy local public transportation). The conspiracies they’re involved in are demonstrably real and demonstrably dictate the direction and policies of the Republican party.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/19/climate/koch-brothers-public-transit.html

16 Likes

Good supporting links. Helpful.

2 Likes

Love your post. Thank you for the contribution!

2 Likes

Sorry, I somehow seem to have lost the paragraphs I did put in there…

2 Likes

I actually have a tough time making soups that I like and want to make again. They never turn out…maybe the word I’m looking for is “cohesive?” Just a bunch of separate ingredients I happened to cook together in a pot vs a delicious melange. You wouldn’t have a favorite recipe you could post or link to would you? I especially like lentil soup.

For those who may not know how much U.S. meddling for decades has laid the groundwork, and I say this as a U.S. citizen and I am not singling anyone out in this discussion:

5 Likes

4 Likes

Sweet. I love marshmallows.

1 Like

I made lentil soup just the other day, but, I don’t use recipes, sorry.

I also made a creamed cauliflower soup, that one was OK. I think I’ll make it again for a special dinner with a Foie Gras garnish… that’ll probably be OK too. The thing with it was that I mounted it with a bunch of butter like it was a sauce. Cauliflower is good off the grill with a bunch of butter. That’s hard to beat.

Like I said before, don’t neglect sweating your mirepoix. And these days I’m happiest using a whole raw bird instead of bones or roasted bones. I think it lends a “cleaner” stock. Make the stock right and you’ll taste the carrots-celery-onions-garlic-peppercorns quite individually in the finished product.

Make the stock right and just add whatever you want. I usually put some greens in lentil and cooked and strained tomatoes is good.

Oh, if you are a veg. just make the stock without the bird it’s damn near as good if you treat the veg. right.
Also… don’t sweat the onions. Quarter and skin them and roast them lightly, for meat or veg stock.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply!
I definitely haven’t been taking cares with the mirepoix and I bet that’s where the problem lies. I usually toss all the veg, including the onions, into the pot for a quick heat-through and then let them finish cooking in the liquid. Ugh, that’s no way to live. I’m gonna do some sweating and I love the tip for roasting the onions (maybe roast some extra onions to eat by themselves while I’m at it, yum!)
I’m makin’ soup!!!

Hoach… wait a minute. Strain off the mirepoix when you strain off the bones.
Saute the veg that your going to keep in the soup.

Actually if you use a whole raw bird, flip it a time or two and take it out after an hour or so, cool it, pull off the meat and throw the bones back in the stock. Cook it another hour or so then strain it and add the stuff that you want in the finished product including the sauteed veg.

Zombie George Soros.

7 Likes

seinfeld-soup-nazi

2 Likes

That moment when you realize you’ve already purchased your last can of Chunky Soup…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.