"Welcome to the end of democracy" says pro-Trump speaker on stage at CPAC (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/23/welcome-to-the-end-of-democracy-says-pro-trump-speaker-on-stage-at-cpac-video.html

12 Likes

Don’t forget “avowed white supremacist.”

30 Likes

“Welcome to the end of democracy”

…and the crowd cheered. :unamused:

27 Likes

Obvious MAGA attempt at trol…“joking” but every joke has a kernel of truth. And in this case the kernel is a Twinkie the size of Manhattan.

23 Likes

Seems like someone should notify the FBI about these domestic terrorists…

36 Likes

Is that Jack Posobiec in the middle? Has he been staring too long in to the abyss?

20 Likes

Waiting for the inevitable “this was just a joke, lighten up” new poster…

28 Likes

I’m sure he loves the constitution, though.

14 Likes

Probably not too keen on the 13th Amendment.

17 Likes

Yeah, it’s not like a bunch of fascists actually want to end democracy. /s

22 Likes

More hiding behind supposed “irony”.

“We’re going to kill all of you. Ha ha just kidding! Can’t you take a joke?”

And speaking for myself, I am personally quite content to not take a joke. And keep on fighting to keep them out of power.

21 Likes

“Welcome to the end of democracy”

30 Likes

Note the tinge of sarcasm to play it off as “just jokes”.

The only silver lining I have seen to this CPAC is how much of a ghost town it is compared to previous years.

Will these non MAGA conservative Republicans still vote? Will enough of the stay home? If the Republicans keep losing are they going to correct course? Who knows… :confused:

15 Likes

I don’t think this is a joke.

22 Likes

Untitled

August 2022.

27 Likes

I think the GOP is in it’s death throes. .

11 Likes

That was my thought at first too. I then watched the context. I think he was serious. It is hard to see on this video but when he says he will replace it with this, he holds up a cross.

19 Likes

Yes GIF

They’ve always been serious. Always.

33 Likes

As @CLamb points out above, he was not holding up a fist. He was holding up a cross. It looks like it might have been a cross on a rosary.

I detected no sarcasm. Maybe a little right at the beginning, but he made it abundantly clear that he’s not joking one bit, especially by holding up that cross at the end. This is Christian Nationalism, and they’re going all in on it. They are now being open about not caring about Democracy or the Constitution.

37 Likes

But these guys hate Catholics? Or is he one of those right wing catholic assholes who thinks that THIS TIME the protestant bigots will let them into their hatin club?

looks at wikipedia Oh yes, he’s a right wing Catholic… these guys get what they want, they’re on the slightly longer list of groups that some of the evangelical fascists hate…

25 Likes