West Virginia lawmaker on rape: “What is beautiful is the child that could come from this.”

You are right. I misread his statement “What is beautiful is the child that could come from this.” as “What is beautiful is the child could come from this.” Thanks for pointing out my error. I changed the headline.

28 Likes

If you are offering your psychological services you may want to take a softer tone. That type of salesmanship won’t get you far.

7 Likes

This is what I’ve come to expect from West Virginia. This is the same state that around 2003 saw the government putting up billboards that read, “Don’t you think she’s a big young?”

Then how about a link and a 10,000 word executive summary?

5 Likes

it seems more like the republican party that needs a psychologist.

8 Likes

He only pasted page 2 of the list. Here’s page one.

4 Likes

It should also be possible for assholes to defend themselves, but the toadies just come out of the woodwork, full of… concern…

INDEED, very disappointing.

6 Likes

I’m not in favor of the “no abortions, not even in the case of rape” position, but I do believe that it would be troublesome to just allow women to simply check a “rape” checkbox in order to justify a late-term abortion. There has to be a middle ground.

Norma McCorvey (the “Jane Roe” in Roe v. Wade) falsely claimed that she had been raped in an attempt to obtain an abortion, then repeated the false claim to her lawyers. Interestingly, she later admitted that she had fabricated the whole thing, and became a pro-life activist with a stated goal of overturning Roe v. Wade. Fortunately nobody was imprisoned as a result of her false claims.

I said your idea was moronic, short sighted, and full of crap. Not you.

7 Likes

Do you believe ‘reasonable and rational people who love and respect the site’ are the ones complaining.

If so, I’d like to talk to you about a business opportunity. Firstly, it’s NOT a pyramid scheme…

3 Likes

WE all understand. You think it is your business

it is not.

You state that you don’t think other people should be ‘allowed to’ … well, I’d like freedom FROM you. Ain’t happening, so you too can suck it up.

But it’s not just ‘other people’, it’s women specifically who have too many rights, as you say it.

There has to be a middle ground.

You’ve advanced far far past it in your offensive drive. Go home, sad person. Home. Find some love. Love.

20 Likes

meh,

just ditch your laws/rulings on the matter altogether, leave it to doctor/patient, then sit back and enjoy lower abortion rates.

(and ironically a bit of that Libertarian brand of freedom that people there bray for, in groups that often overlap with pro-life groups)

**you may need universal health care to realize all potentials of no abortion laws whatsoever

11 Likes

The Honorable Mr. Kurcaba already “apologized

“I apologize to anyone who took my comments about the sanctity of human life to mean anything other than that all children are precious regardless of circumstances,” he said in the statement.

Also, the context is important.

The bill under consideration would ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy. On Thursday, the state legislature’s health committee voted down a proposal that would have made exceptions for pregnancies resulting from rape or incest, and the bill is now headed for a up or down vote in the full House.

Also, this great coverage from the WV Gazette

A similar bill passed both houses of the Legislature last year with overwhelming bipartisan support but was vetoed by Tomblin, who said he had been advised that it was unconstitutional.

The public hearing had 25 speakers against the bill and 8 speaking in favor

the American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecologists, which generally supports abortion rights, has repeatedly issued statements calling into question the science used by the bills’ supporters.

“A rigorous 2005 scientific review of evidence published in the Journal of the American Medical Association concluded that fetal perception of pain is unlikely before the third trimester,” the organization wrote in 2013. “Although ultrasound monitoring can show intrauterine fetal movement, no studies since 2005 demonstrate fetal recognition of pain.”

Oh great, moar science-denialists.

In 2011, the last year for which data is available, there were eight abortions in West Virginia after 20 weeks, according to data collected by the state Bureau for Public Health. In 2010, there were 10.

The House Health Committee held a public hearing on the bill before discussing it and ultimately passing it 20-5.

20 people telling 10 people what to do with their bodies and their lives. Seriously, doesn’t the government of WV have more significant fucking problems to tackle? If you believe children are so damn beautiful, why don’t you fix the fact that your state provides the worst education in the US.

Fucking priorities, people.

16 Likes

It’s weird how people supporting assholes on BB almost always have brand-new profiles. Weird.

21 Likes

It is you’re in that usage.

But otherwise you sound so very clever.

9 Likes

Now Now, texas is rapidly racing WV, AL and Oh god no MS to the bottom. Still better than common core. amirite?

2 Likes

I love you, too.

Oh, and did you notice that Mark Frauenfelder acknowledged the criticism and changed the post – BEFORE you decided to attack those who pointed it out?

Well, considering that I am one of the people criticizing Boing Boing for this, and that I have been reading it for more than a decade, yeah. I have my daughter read it, and refer posts to my wife all the time. I’ve bought books and presents recommended at Boing Boing for my family and friends, and have no idea how much joy I’ve gotten from things I’ve read here.

Oh, and Mark changed the post before you started slapping people around, changed it in a way that reflected our criticism?

That’s one of the things I love about Boing Boing, the integrity here – at least about its writers. Some of its commenters, not so much.

3 Likes

I’ve lived in WV for about 20 years, and I’ve never seen such a thing. A citation is in order.

Not saying it didn’t happen, but if it did, it was probably a one-off, not a “thing.”

here is a mirror for you. You are one of ‘them’.

1 Like