What does your pizza-munching strategy say about you?

Strong take. Absolutely wrong, but a strong take.

2 Likes

14 Likes

what if, and iā€™m just talking hypothetically here, but what if you use a fork to pull the toppings off the pizza and eat them, then use the fork to pull the soft dough off of the hard crust and eat that, and then eat the hard crust like it was a cracker?

asking for a friend.

5 Likes

Weā€™ll just agree to disagree on how wrong you are.

2 Likes

Chicago-style is very tasty, butā€¦

6 Likes

No deep psychological secrets here: I eat the crust first because itā€™s the driest/mildly flavoured part and I aim to finish with the sauciest, cheesiest bite. I also use a fork and knife because I donā€™t like having greasy, garlic-scented fingers.

You know what they call that stuff heā€™s eating everywhere else? New York style pizza. Because heā€™s not even acknowledging the third kind which isnā€™t on a pasty cracker with the minimum amount of sauce spread out on a 36" round pan. Everywhere else you get a 16" pan with moderately thick crust and a decent amount of sauce with a nice balance of elements.

5 Likes

i also do this, but consider it to be ā€œfoldingā€. Same with the fold-whole-pizza-in-half-and-make-a-calzone technique

Iā€™m a folder.

Pizza thick enough and sloppy enough to require a knife and fork . . . Iā€™m not sure if it is pizza. Not to say I wouldnā€™t eat it or dislike it.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll like your comment but I have to say that as a third-party state (native-Californian), we say either deep dish or Chicago style and just pizza for normal crust (what you call NY style).

Edit to add: what about not folding, but tip first?

Well, letā€™s use visuals.

New York (very thin crust, very large slice)

Chicago (thick crust, sauce on top)

Pizza, neither style

3 Likes

Neopolitan

Roman

8 Likes

Are those topping differences or actual physical differences?

physical. Roman is the cracker thin, virtually no bubbles in the crust style. very low hydration for the crust compared to Neapolitan. (I prefer Neapolitan, the bubbles are my favorite part)

3 Likes

Okay, last time I try to mediate :wink:.

As much as Iā€™m partial to option #3, the pizza Iā€™ve had in Europe looks like #1 and #3 is a bit more thick than what I remember growing up. But what do I know? My Welsh-American mom made square-shaped pizza, which seemed so wrong back then.

And Iā€™m like @stefanjones; Iā€™ll eat any style.

1 Like

Mine, too!

2 Likes

This isnā€™t deep dish pizza, this is stuffed pizza, which is, technically speaking a casserole. Deep dish pizza is thick crust or pan pizza (not my favorite - too much like NY pizza = blech). Chicago thin crust pizza is crispy and cut into squares, because you shouldnā€™t have to origami you 'za!

Visiting northern Italy a few years back, we had both Roman and Neopolitan types. It was very good.

My favorite ā€œdomesticā€ pizza is New York style ā€“ a derivative of Neopolitan ā€“ Pizza Margharita. A less rustic looking version of the Neopolitan pizza that Japhroaig posted a picture of up above.

FWIW: When I was growing up on Long Island, 60s/70s, any thick, square pizza was called ā€œSicilian.ā€ The whole Chicago deep-dish thing wasnā€™t on the radar until the 80s, when chains started showing up.

2 Likes

See here, Lord Deā€™Ath: did your King Henry VIII use a knife and fork to nibble upon his turkey drumsticks, pinky extended like the dainty regal Milquetoast he was? I say thee nay; Iā€™ve seen him at too many RenFaires to believe otherwise.

Suckinā€™ pizza grease off our fingers is how we red-blooded Yanks keep our knuckles lubricated for activities such as this:

4 Likes

Many old world and (famous) New York styles do sauce on top. Uncooked marinara is not preferable.

I grew up with the real slop in the midwest: Ohio style sweet sauce with provolone. Ugh.