What is the deal with this useless vending machine notice?

[Read the post]

5 Likes

Is it some kind of tax sticker? That’s the only explanation I can think of. Unless it’s Florida’s attempt to make sure there aren’t illegal Mexican Coke machines stealing American Coke machine jobs.

15 Likes

I called the #, no answer.

12 Likes

It appears to be. Reading through the provision though, it’s kind of surprising they wouldn’t require text explaining why it was there, or an official seal of some sort.

3 Likes

BBers, happy mutants, and culture jammers reading this: you damn well know what to do.

6 Likes

No doubt you’ve been added to a List.

16 Likes

Maybe it’s a herd immunity study. If two machines are side by side, one has the sticker and the other doesn’t… does the one without the sticker get reported?

6 Likes

Of course not, they’re out putting stickers on vending machines.

14 Likes

I think the actual law is as amusing as the resultant sticker:

quote(a) An
operator of a vending machine may not operate or cause to be operated
in this state any vending machine until the operator has registered with
the department, has obtained a separate registration certificate for
each county in which such machines are located, and has affixed a notice
to each vending machine selling food or beverages. The notice must be
conspicuously displayed on the vending machine when it is being operated
in this state and shall contain the following language in conspicuous
type: NOTICE TO CUSTOMER: FLORIDA LAW REQUIRES THIS NOTICE TO BE POSTED
ON ALL FOOD AND BEVERAGE VENDING MACHINES. REPORT ANY MACHINE WITHOUT A
NOTICE TO (TOLL-FREE NUMBER). YOU MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR A CASH REWARD. DO
NOT USE THIS NUMBER TO REPORT PROBLEMS WITH THE VENDING MACHINE SUCH AS
LOST MONEY OR OUT-OF-DATE PRODUCTS.[/quote]

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0200-0299/0212/Sections/0212.0515.html

No requirement to post proof of the registration certificate, just the notice about the notice.

26 Likes

No purpose? It’s there to tell you the sticker is required, obviously. The part that concerns me is that if the sticker was missing, who would be aware of the violation? I hope they have a squad or something.

Wow, I just realized you could call in, report the sticker is missing, and remove the sticker for a living. Do you think they would catch on after a while?

11 Likes

Holy cats, that is amazing in so many ways. Slow clap, Florida legislators, slow clap.

6 Likes

The machine without this sticker has instructions for claiming the cash incentive, in the case that there is no operating toll free number.

2 Likes

I guess we just found out what Florida Man’s day job is.

13 Likes

Yeah, I probably should have posted more than the tiny link.

I found this sign once on a hatch leading down to some sort of access to pipelines/power lines. I understand the concept of requiring a permit for certain worker safety issues related to confined spaces, but this sign doesn’t provide any means for action. Have the conditions changed? And have they changed enough to require a permit? They could have, but did they? And if so, have we obtained a permit? No way to know.

15 Likes

That was my first thought as well.

Useless signs are the best signs.

23 Likes

What if there is no operator? Can/should autonomous vending machines register themselves?

1 Like

Yes.

10 Likes

Mark, here’s a pretty good explanation.

1 Like