What, me Coronavirus worry? Spring Breakers refuse to quit partying in Miami

There is now way to shut kids out of a perceived chance to get laid. In Daytona Beach, they buy advertising telling the kids they are not welcome, hundreds of businesses board up like if a hurricane is coming and they still go. Miami Beach has been trying to kill Urban Week for a decade to no avail. In a free country there is no way to stop gatherings unless you impose martial law and start locking people up in cages with guns.

What should happen is the kid’s families should not let them back in when they get home. If they are also too stupid then it’s just darwinism working as intended.

15 Likes

KIDS…

20 Likes

Well, for a a two-year old, two months IS nearly forever. When you behave like one, much the same.

And I watched some video of a blogger showing (yet again - it’s not new, people) how many songs are based on the exact same 4 chords and same chord progression. Before she started singing them all to her own piano accompaniment, she exclaimed how all the most popular songs IN HISTORY were based on these chords. And I had heard precisely two of them before and I suspect the rest were all released in the last 5 years. (And one of the two I did know felt like it had been force-fitted to her formula and in reality probably had a maj7th or some other chord in there instead of the four major chords she was trying to make it fit.)

I do hope these kids get old and learn what the passage of time really feels like.

7 Likes

Ahh Brady. You better pray future employers don’t google you before interviews. ‘Cause, well, who’s gonna hire someone who’s such a well documented idiot now?

12 Likes

More like Sims random names…

5 Likes

Working on his SEO
Brady Sluder Brady Sluder Brady Sluder Brady Sluder Brady Sluder Brady Sluder

4 Likes

But that wouldn’t have made a big headline like this one, would it?

No, you’re wrong, what it takes is will of the leadership and a good flow of information to the governed. Consider Dublin on St. Patrick’s Day:

We don’t currently have either in the US, but there is plenty of evidence from European countries, which are just as free as the US, that people, including kids, can behave responsibly in a crisis.

26 Likes

The bigger question is, when have spring breakers made good decisions? This is another bad one to add to their (long) list.
Problem is, this time it affects more than themselves.

9 Likes

Arya Stark ? Is that you ?

1 Like

Well, it seems to work…

8 Likes

Governments have a bit of a line to walk. Using emergency powers to shut everything down sounds easy on paper - it is more difficult in practice. The state would need to use resources such as police and military to enforce social distancing and self-isolation. Problem is, those resources can’t cover everything and may be needed for other matters.

And it sets a precedent for government use of power. All governments are hesitant to enact measures that were conceived of for a wartime scenario - it’s the nuclear option. They’d rather see how far they can get by strongly encouraging behaviour first. I’m not trying to sound like a libertarian here, just to say there is some “motivated reasoning” to the government not using the full extent of its power.

That said, the mixed messages that came out at the start of all this, and the fragmented and uncoordinated pastiche of agencies and jurisdictions has made mobilizing a response difficult. Government is certainly to blame for that.

Yes and no. The messaging was unclear at first, but now it is much clearer. If you are choosing to party in large numbers at the beach, and it results in the spread of this virus to vulnerable populations, you share some of the responsibility.

6 Likes

I’ve been giving this some thought. Why not party? We’re all going to die anyways. This business of all the pubs and libraries and bookstores closing, it’s worse than death.

3 Likes

Furthermore, my mother, who’s in her eighties, has told me more than once that she’s not bothered at all by dying sooner rather than later. I hope we’re not wrecking the economy on behalf of people who don’t want us to do it.

2 Likes

If his name was even Brady Smith, he might stand an outside chance.

But hey, whatever happens happens, right?

6 Likes

That’s brilliant… thanks for sharing.

We must protect Mel Brooks at all costs!!!

Mainly, because it’s selfish, because maybe not all of us want our older relatives to die so some teens can get their rocks off? It’s not fair to act as if actions have no consequences when they most certainly do.

I don’t want us to wreck the economy, because it ruins lives for millions of people. The Great Depression seems far off and a blip, but it was grinding poverty for years for many people. It shortened lives and made people homeless and miserable. That’s the entire reason why so many people supported FDR through 4 elections! Because he DID something to alleviate the misery that people were experiencing thanks to a few assholes wrecking the economy. WE are not wrecking the economy, the fortune 500 is, Trump is, the right wing libertarians are, all so they can amass and hoard more wealth. The best economy the US ever had, that lifted the most people out of poverty, that gave us some of the most cutting edge technologies, that literally put a man on the moon, was an economy with high taxes, a government that was willing to impose regulations, an active and included labor movement, and corporations that saw themselves as citizens with responsibilities to their employees. If you want to point your finger at who is wrecking the economy, it has little to do with coronavirus, and more to do with racists aligning with libertarians to scare working class white people that people of color are now sharing in that abundance, who used their fear and ignorance to deregulate and bring us nearly completely back to the pre-New Deal era, where corporations could do nearly as they pleased. If we had a more robust government, better regulation, and people with protections from disasters, THIS WOULD NOT BE HAPPENING. There is NO such thing as a natural disaster, only failures by government to support their citizens during natural disasters.

43 Likes

Side note: the doormen at most of the clubs in Miami wouldn’t have let the majority of these kids in anyway.

I know that you were making a clever joke about people calling it a “Chinese” virus, but in the White House they’re making moronic racist jokes about what they seriously call a Chinese virus.

11 Likes

Fine, then party alone in your room where you can’t spread the virus to people who don’t want to die.

:scream_cat:

If we don’t wreck the economy, we will all fucking die, whether we want to or not. This is a disease with a single digit percent mortality rate if we handle it well. That’s an honest ten million dead Americans right there if it runs its course. Likely to be much more, because if it runs its course, there will be no more hospital beds and no way to keep the mortality rate in the single digits anymore. Plus, there will be people dying as a result of not being able to get medical treatment even though they don’t have Coronavirus. Not to mention the people who will die because the loss of tens of millions of people will really kneecap the economy.

19 Likes