Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

I love the acting in The Fall of the House of Usher. What a cast! Just finished episode 3, and this scene is an excellent example of what you described:

5 Likes

lem-pire

Stephen Colbert Chefs Kiss GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

4 Likes

Noticed that there are new episodes of Doom Patrol. So I’m watching a Oscar winner singing about masturabting.

1 Like

… CBS just finished broadcasting the first season of “Yellowstone,” since the strikes mean they don’t have any new dramas to put on

So after that I watched the second season, and OMG that was an abrupt shift in tone

The show starts out like a serious grown-up drama about development and land use and main characters are lawyers and journalists and we expect courtroom scenes and shit like that

but then instead it turns into “Sons of Anarchy” except with horses and cowboy hats :confused:

1 Like

Before turning to screenwriting, Yellowstone creator Taylor Sheridan portrayed Deputy Hale on the first couple seasons of Sons of Anarchy. I guess it rubbed off on him?

1 Like

… beyond the kidnapping, and executing their enemy on the toilet, it shares SoA’s deep moral confusion — one principal character is treated as a sort of broken being because he murders one person, while most of the others are basically serial killers who have never been caught :thinking:

This year marked the 70th anniversary of President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s 1953 executive order effectively banning LGBTQ+ people from serving in the federal government. Executive Order 10450 turbo-charged a series of McCarthy-era hearings and investigations that came to be known as the Lavender Scare, a moral panic that saw, by some estimates, 5,000 gay and lesbian U.S. government employees fired from their jobs for supposedly posing a threat to national security.

This week, a new Showtime limited series brings that dark chapter of America’s history to life. Based on out author Thomas Mallon’s 2007 novel, Fellow Travelers is by a deeply affecting tragic love story, a political thriller, and a lesson in how the effort to protect and maintain privilege can undermine efforts to fight oppression and injustice.

4 Likes

One part of Totally Killer was, IMO.

The death of the mother bugged me. What’s up with the “fight the killer” trope? All those years to prepare and she didn’t have a panic room? The goal is to survive, and she had multiple chances to get away. By get away, I don’t mean run, trip, and fall either. :roll_eyes: Getting to a secure space to wait for the cops is better than attempting hand-to-hand combat with an armed killer. :woman_shrugging:t4:

:weary: Yeah I know, “When you’re in a horror movie…”

1 Like

I will admit to getting hooked on Yellowstone a few years ago, but it is pretty ridiculous. It could have been really, really good. Like…they occasionally bump into important stories (forced abortions and sterilizations of Native Americans) but that’s all they do with them. They bump into them, and then move off to something else. The 1883 prequel miniseries pissed me off because of geographical inaccuracies (they leave Fort Worth to head to the Pacific Northwest, but they head west first and cross the Brazos River, then turn north and cross the Red River, and I still cannot for the life of me figure out how or why they did that). I haven’t watched the 1923 prequel miniseries, but it stars Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren, so…might be worth a watch at some point. Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson had cameos in 1883, so apparently Taylor Sheridan is connected in Hollywood.

Overall, though, my main problem with Yellowstone is with many of its fans. A lot of people seem to think the behavior of the Dutton clan is admirable. I don’t really think they’re meant to be seen as the good guys. I mean, they’re not black hat bad guys, either. It’s complicated. But they’re definitely not the good guys.

2 Likes

Reminds me of how so many dudes thought that Walter White was the hero of Breaking Bad…

Walter White Danger GIF by Breaking Bad

6 Likes

Yep. And in Fight Club. It seems to be a common problem.

6 Likes

Ok, this looks…well I don’t know. After Secret Invasion, I’m not holding my breath, but this reminds me in tone of the Netflix Daredevil series.

2 Likes

And in The Sopranos.

You Dont Understand The Sopranos GIF

3 Likes

… one of the first villain-protagonist shows was

2 Likes

I think I saw few episodes of that. The only thing I remember of it is that somebody slept in a cardboard box.

1 Like

I don’t know.

Once the mother opened the door (it was Halloween after all) she had little room to escape. She fought back, and quite effectively. She was obviously trained and had a gun handy. When she got to the kitchen and grabbed a knife she told the killer the cops were on their way and the killer left. She could be excused for thinking it was over and the safest place to be was in the house.

Anyway, it’s a time travel story, so the whole movie hinged on changing the timeline so she wouldn’t be killed.

Three times in this incomplete scene where instead of getting away, she engaged.

:woman_shrugging:t4:

I enjoyed it, and it it managed to untangle most of the plot lines better than I expected, except for one.

We last left Iris Maplewood stranded in 1890, then she pops up in 2023 with no explanation. It looks like a setup for a second season, which doesn’t seem right for this particular series.

KYAL

1 Like

I tried it, too much gore for my tastes. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

This series about Bass Reeves is going on my list: