Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

This will probably sound super pedantic, but I was increasingly bothered from episode 2 onwards by the completely wrong dates of the arctic night.

If the “long night” started on December 17, then it should have ended around Christmas, since the arctic night is centered around the winter solstice. Moreover, it wouldn’t have been total darkness in mid-day, as depicted in the series, but rather a fairly bright twilight, because the sun would be just below the horizon during “daytime” hours.

The final episode only compounded this glaring error by showing May 12 as the “first long day of the year”, when it should be June 17 or thereabouts.

2 Likes

They tend to rush to get them on pay platforms after nominations instead because people are more likely to spend money on them out due to the accolades. People are less likely to do that with animation. Especially Western animation.

I don’t agree with that take. Sounds like anti-feminist, anti-“woke” bs to me.

The case was already officially closed, because Ninth Doctor sold Liz out to the company. By not trying to arrest all the women (for a crime she wasn’t supposed to be investigating) Liz actually cemented her place as a leader of the community by creating a bond with the tribe that had always been wary of her. I don’t think it’s out of character at all. As far as “not taking a massive swing”, the mystery was always going to have a mundane solution. Marty and Rust didn’t uncover Cthulhu in the last episode of season 1, just psycho rednecks, so what’s the difference? I liked that it was the scientists’ guilt that killed them (amplified by the Night Country).

I haven’t seen seasons 2 and 3 btw

5 Likes

and @Jesse13927 :

But how are we supposed to believe that someone like Liz, who we knew to be so devoted to her work, would allow an entire group of murderers in Ennis to get away? Sure, we had seen evidence that Liz didn’t follow every letter of the law; she allowed Evangeline to kill Clark and helped her stage a past murder to look like a suicide. But that simply didn’t feel like enough to convince us that Liz would let a confession slide without hesitation. She wasn’t one to forgive major transgressions, but her tacit acceptance of this reveal ran counter to everything we’d come to know about her

Wut?

A: This person would never allow murderers to get away.
B: Of course this person not only allowed someone to get away with murder, she helped that person pretend another murder was a suicide.
C: But that doesn’t convince me that she’d allow people to get away with murder.
D: After all, despite actively helping someone get away with murder, she’d never let someone get away with murder.

2 Likes

Um… spoilers?

Eeek!

Sorry!

1 Like

Thank You So Much GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Spoilers for the first couple of episodes of the live action avatar show:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! The video covers a few topics that I’ve seen come up since the release of the show (Sokka’s sexism, the opening scenes, Aang’s responsibility) but within the lense of anti-colonialism, which I appreciate hearing more about. Five episodes into my viewing so far, it doesn’t seem off-base.

I’m not sure how much I’ll agree with Jessie’s criticisms in the long-term, though. In terms of story arcs, only one-third of this iteration’s story is told. While I’m trying to balance my knowledge of the series alongside my wanting to see this show as its own thing, I can’t help but automatically know that Aang’s story ends with a choice made opposed to “might makes right.” It’s Sokka’s journey I’m more interested in because there’s a focus on his fear of not being a good leader, which I don’t think was necessarily a focus of the cartoon.

My family and I are enjoying watching it, though. The cartoon was something we (re)watched as a family during the pandemic, my oldest subsequently watched it several more times after, and we throw on the show on Pluto TV over the weekends when we just feel like having the TV on. The new show feels like Avatar to us, even if it has its flaws. But it is darker and edges toward being more “mature” in a manner that necessitates quotation marks. And people need to watch out when watching with young kids because episode 5 has legit jump scares for them.

I’m looking forward to seeing how they handle Toph, assuming they get to make Book 2. She basically made the series for me and why I don’t really feel as strongly about Book 1 episodes. They better get her right.

the legend of korra lol GIF

4 Likes

More this from Jessie, FYI…

1 Like

for me, I’ve stopped comparing it to the original show and letting it stand on its own. I take the Douglas Adams approach to remakes. they are all their own thing. Each with its own pluses and minuses.

The changes I’ve seen so far (only 4 eps in myself) have seemed logical and right in line with the main story. Casting has been really well done. Aang and Sokka especially for me are near perfect physical and performance.

1 Like

That’s the primary way I view these things. A remake or adaptation is made to be its own thing, so it should receive that consideration. The broader (pop) cultural conversation doesn’t allow that, though, for better and for worse. But this show, on its own, is engaging and has successfully pulled me into its world.

Sokka is also a particular standout for me. Both in embodying a full character and being a character I already know. Zuko is growing on me. I’ve seen some of his range, which is necessary for a role like that. I’m not as sold on Aang and Katara yet (as well as Azula etc al.). I really liked Suki, though, even though she’s only gotten one episode that I’ve seen.

ETA: I could probably go on and on about this show right now. I probably shouldn’t.

1 Like

Not quite!

ETA: Finished season 2 of OFMD. Loved it, and it’s a crying shame it got cancelled because i know they had plans for a third. :cry:

We are huge Columbo fans, we own all of them and will watch every marathon every time.

CBS has been promoting a Columbo like show called Elsbeth.

We were skeptical but they seem to have captured the spirit of Columbo in the new series. We watched the pilot tonight and will be tuning in for the next episode.

And I had never heard of Carrie Preston until this evening, I really like her.

3 Likes

is it as good as Poker Face?

I’ve never heard of the show but most of my TV watching is classic shows mostly from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s.

It’s rare for me to watch regular TV but Elsbeth caught my eye because of the Columbo comparison.

1 Like

As a long time fan of Columbo, I can highly recommend Poker Face*. I will definitely check out Elsbeth.

*If you watched “Glass Onion” Poker Face explains why Natasha Lyonne was one of the 4 people playing online with Daniel Craig in the bathtub.

1 Like

Elsbeth only has one episode released so far. It could potentially be a good series. I can’t tell just yet. The thing about Elsbeth is that she is relentlessly positive and constantly delighted. The question is how long can they keep a character like that interesting and worth watching before she wears on you. I’m hoping for a while.

2 Likes

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt would like to have a few words with you:

Kimmy Schmidt Dancing GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

4 Likes

The first three episodes of Shogun have been very good. I’m not familiar with the source material (neither the novels nor previous adaptations), so I was hesitant going in that it might involve a lot of white savior BS. That doesn’t seem to be the case so far and doesn’t appear to be the case in the book. What also fills me with hope about the series is that Hiroyuki Sanada is serving as an EP and wants to make sure details are period-accurate.

4 Likes