Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

mum and i started watching this last night. 2 eps and i like it so far. loving the set details and costumes. can’t wait to see Toranaga put on that samurai armor they keep showing!

4 Likes

As someone who has read the book (at a way too young of age, but Dad liked to push me like that) and enjoyed the original adaptation (which for its time was a big deal) this new adaptation is amazing.

Oh I can already tell from the trailers the first time you see him like that is going to be outstanding.

3 Likes

We are now guaranteed to see the ending of the live action Avatar: The Last Airbender.

2 Likes

just finished s1 last night. Overall I was happy with how it went. A few shortcuts here and there that didnt fully sit right but not a big deal. My deciding factor will be Toph next season. If they get her right, then anything else can slide.

my main beef How did Aang get his glider back? He flew to Roku Island with it, was captured and escaped with Zuko without it back

1 Like

I think I’ve heard that for many people the series doesn’t really start until season 2. A large part of that is Toph. They really need to get her right.

As for the rest of what you said, there are no continuity errors in B̶a̶ ̶S̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶S̶e̶ Avatar: The Last Airbender.

nowarinbasingse-atla

2 Likes

oh man they missed a chance for a great easter egg joke. Credit a huge team of ‘continuity editors’ but have them all named some variation of Ju-Dii

2 Likes

This.
Was intrigued.
Ended up bingeing it over two nights.
SK nails it again.
Great stuff.

ETA: This series gave me a new, heightened sympathy for crying babies.
Very minor spoiler below, will not ruin it, promise.

Our hero stashes 10 million Won in a bus-station locker, has four days to reclaim it, reincarnates as a baby, and starts wailing in a crowded restaurant. We hear Waah, Waah. We also hear our hero’s voiceover in the same waah tone “where’s my 10 million Won, Waah.” Now I’m going to assume, for the rest of my life, that’s what all babies are crying for.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Hmm! Was it all that violent and/or gory?

1 Like

Yes and no.
A lot of the gore is assumed and kept out of the lens, which suited me.

There is violence, due to the nature of Death’s challenge, but again, I would think appropriate rather than gratuitous.

And there is plenty of humour in there too. When I started watching it, I thought: “Oh, Quantum Leap, but with real consequences and a deadline looming like an axe”.

But the storyline won’t let you down, it wraps around and ticks all the markers it lays down.
Very well written.

3 Likes

Thank you!

I find that’s true of a lot of K-Dramas. I still rate “My Mister” among the best shows I’ve ever seen, mainly for that reason. The writing in “Our Blues” is up there too.

2 Likes

Never heard of either of them.
Will look them up, thanks.

2 Likes

To celebrate the life of the late Akira Toriyama, my daughter and I watched the film Dragon Ball Super: Broly. Well, re-watched. We saw it in the theater together 5 years ago. I think it might have been our second film together, just the two of us. (The first being My Neighbor Totoro.) Broly is very clearly a shōnen action movie. And somehow, five years on, it remains a movie that is better than it really ought to be.

At least to us, anyway. My daughter and I got to have another good time together thanks to Toriyama’s iconic characters.

Dragon Ball GIF by Toei Animation

2 Likes

Guy Ritchie’s movies have lost their mojo these days, but I’m having a lot of fun with this series. It harkens back to Snatch and is definitely better than the movie on which it was based.

Nothing groundbreaking, but good popcorn fun.

4 Likes

I looked up those two on my favourite (perfectly legal, yer 'onor) streaming site but no such luck.

I’ll keep an eye out for them in the future.

Meanwhile, I’m gonna have a go on The Gentlemen - as recommended by @Jesse13927

1 Like

It’s not anyone’s favorite streaming service, but My Mister is free to watch on the Roku Channel. It’s free to everyone, but there are ads. (Might depend on what market you’re in, though.)

2 Likes

Oh?
Never heard of that one.
Will investigate.
Thanks.

Roku is a plug-in device that wirelessly streams tele. it also has its own channel - unoriginally called “Roku Channel” - it has some availability in UK.

FTA;
"The countries Roku is officially available in include:

North America: United States, Canada, and Mexico.
South America: Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Peru, and Panama.
Europe: United Kingdom, France, and Germany.
Specific programs or channels may not be available or restricted outside the above regions."

YMMV

1 Like

Wait, it’s a physical device you plug in?

1 Like

yes sir, that it is.
we have one in the media room and one in the bar. i can watch footies in the bar while the mum watches HGTV on the big teevee.
similar to ChromeTV or Amazon FireStick.

1 Like