Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

Ah, intellesting, Mr. Bond.

My dad has a firestick (I think, it’s been years since my niece tried to crack it for him).
Personally, I know next to bugger-all about TV and the connected devices.

I do manage to watch a few things online (on perfectly acceptable non-piraty channels, yer onor)

But thanks for the heads-up, I’ll have a look at that.

1 Like

You don’t need the device to access the Roku Channel, though:

4 Likes

Well, thank you, kind sir…

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Try dopebox.to :pirate_flag:

2 Likes

Ooh, shiny new one!
Ta muchly.

2 Likes

This interview between Dante Basco (animated Zuko) and Dallas Liu (2nd live action Zuko) has a great moment in its 5th segment (about 5:30 into the video) about interacting with Avatar: The Last Airbender fans and what the show means to them. It’s something even the people who haven’t seen the series can appreciate.

3 Likes

Now all eyes are on what Nolan — who wrote, directed and produced “Oppenheimer” — will do next. Some say it will be a remake of the mystery-thriller “The Prisoner,” based on the 1960s TV series created by and starring Patrick McGoohan,

That seems like a bad idea.

6 Likes

It was done in 2009. I managed to struggle through one episode.

3 Likes

I don’t know. I enjoyed the Prestige which I can’t pretend to take seriously, while it also has a story that I feel.

And I enjoyed Oppenheimer when it was a video game / king fu movie with physicists at the beginning. The end bit just pointed out again and again how poor it was compared to the play Copenhagen which obviously inspired it. He should have just optioned that and had done with it.

The Prisoner is an ultimately meaningless piece of stylish fun.

Sounds okay to me.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched the new one, but I do remember watching the original. It was a big deal at the time. It aired in 1980 when most people still just had access to 3 or 4 channels. And it was just a few years after Roots, which was obviously a huge, epic story for television, and the major broadcast event of the 70s. These huge epic miniseries became a thing for awhile, and I think Shogun was the second or third of them. Amazingly, to this day it remains the only American television production filmed entirely in Japan. And thank God it was, because otherwise Sean Connery might have starred in it. He was offered the part but didn’t want to go spend months in Japan.

5 Likes

Just looking at Memento, Inception, and even The Prestige, his taking on The Prisoner might be a good fit. I don’t have any reverence for Nolan’s work, but I’d be interested in seeing how he handles the material.

I saw some of that mini-series when it came out. At the time, I knew of the original The Prisoner but hadn’t seen it yet. I found the plot intriguing – intriguing enough that I’d like to go back and finish the thing. In retrospect, though, the big failure in capturing the essence of the original is probably that it took itself too seriously.

On second thought, Nolan isn’t a good fit for it at all.

3 Likes

started basically the whole japanese-culture-craze of the 80s.

this new adaptation is amazing.

ouuhh yes!

the Anjin is not a savior, hes just a tool in the schemes of things.

4 Likes

Same here.

If you’ve got Gandalf and Jesus on your team and still can’t make it work… Bummer.

4 Likes

Yeah. Beating the 2009 remake should be easy enough, but apart from the original, they’d also have to beat

Shoes3

I could see a a Muppets version working perfectly, though. (Didn’t we discuss this already in another thread recently? Mind like a … You know, the pasta straining thingy.)

9 Likes

The Prisoner is my favorite tv show ever - I saw it on PBS in the ‘70’s as an impressionable sci-fi obsessed child. Number Six was my hero and role model.

While I have no doubt Nolan could pull off a cool Prisoner movie, it could never touch the original. Who could possibly measure up to Patrick McGoohan? Would it be shot at Portmeirion? Would it be set in the late ‘60’s?

That miniseries redo was terrible. Did you know the Michael Bay movie The Island started development as a The Prisoner remake? Ugh.

I used to have a paperback The Prisoner novel written by a big name SF writer but I can’t remember who and I can’t find any info about it now. I remember it was an original story and if irc was written as a fan of the show, not as a contracted novelization. Anybody know?

ETA I found it now. Thomas M. Disch!

6 Likes

I remember hearing that The Island was a Logan’s Run remake.

I’ll have to disagree about The Prisoner. I was also a sci fi obsessed kid, but felt it was a dumb concept.

1 Like

According to a 2007 interview with Clonus screenwriter Bob Sullivan, DreamWorks and Clonus Associates reached a settlement, the specific terms of which are sealed. According to Sullivan, the amount settled on was in the seven-figure range.

MST3K S08E11.

4 Likes

Yep, classic 70’s stinky cheese sci-fi. Obviously Bay has never had an original idea.

4 Likes

Who needs original ideas when you have explosions!

6 Likes

Re: The Prisoner, again

For me it’s the perfect metaphor for having a midlife crisis.

7 Likes