Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

On Amazon Prime - which is the only subscription service I still have, sweet!

2 Likes

In between naps and headaches (fucking COVID) I’ve been streaming Designing Women on Amazon Prime.
It holds up surprisingly well!
It’s racist in that the only Black character is an ex con, but also pretty aware in that they address systemic racism all over the place.
And the main characters are 4 single women who (so far, at least) don’t give up their own interests or careers for a man.
So, a decade before Friends, more woke than Friends. Same genre as Cheers, way less sexist than Cheers.
And quite funny.

2 Likes

If you’d like to keep that warm fuzzy feeling, do not google info on the main character, Julia Sugarbaker (Dixie Carter). From Wikipedia:

Carter was a registered Republican who described her political views as libertarian. She was interviewed by Bill O’Reilly along with Pat Boone at the 2000 Republican National Convention, and once jokingly described herself as “the only Republican in show business”. However, Carter’s Designing Women character, Julia Sugarbaker, was known for her liberal political views and related speeches, for which she was nicknamed “The Terminator.” Carter disagreed with many of her character’s beliefs, and made a deal with the show’s producers that if Julia delivered a “Terminator” monologue, she would get to sing a song in a future episode.

3 Likes

Blah. That’s a shame. I love the character she plays, anyway.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Excited Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

1 Like

Binged this tonight:

6x30 mins, UK-centric, pretty funny.
I felt it time well spent.

Also, in the credits from the last episode, an excellent cover of “Toxic”.

2 Likes

Unicorn: Warriors Eternal is kind of making me feel the same way, but I’m giving it an episode or two now before I drop it. The story is starting off slowly, and the minimalist dialog isn’t helping it much. Those character designs in the style of Osamu Tezuka, though… They’re fun to watch.

1 Like

Couldn’t aggree more. It is a feast for the eyes in the middle of all these computer designer cartoons that look like Playstation video games.

season 13 GIF

1 Like

Started watching a channel on YouTube. If you like Practical Engineering, you might like this. A lot on micro power generation and related topics. Interesting ~8 minute shorts, and it’s possible that he’s quite mad.

3 Likes

Yep; Gaiman himself boosted it on Mastodon.

2 Likes

Nimona. Good comics will be adapted into a feature movie. I’d rather watch a version with an art more similar to Mr. ND Stevenson. The comic book was terrific.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130303004432/http://gingerhaze.com/nimona

4 Likes

Say what you like about Die Hard, but I’m nearly finished bingeing “Obi-Wan Kenobi” and in the multiple times Ben and Vader are fighting, back to back, not once has Obi-Wan thought to shoot himself through his own shoulder.

Bruce, you were ahead of the game, what a great Jedi you would have made.

1 Like

Also, for when you are finished, McClane actually kills his opponents when it makes sense for him to do so. Obi-Wan will kill ordinary people, but when it’s an incredibly dangerous mass murderer has this thing for leaving them alive, in pain, and angry, and then just deciding he’s done for the day and leaving.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right.
Much as I would like to admire the Jedi code, that’s a fucking dick move.

:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Finished the latest season of Sweet Tooth. Had to go back and rewatch the first season, because there were too many forgotten plot points. :grimacing: Now there are a few things about the writing that keep bothering me.

First, there are too many smart people making foolish choices - the doctor revealing his discovery to someone who cannot be trusted, and being shocked at the sudden, but inevitable betrayal; Jepp’s past job reveal; and John confronting his brother. Second, there’s the partner betrayal (something I’m seeing too much lately in shows with strong women as major characters). They have a partner (husband/boyfriend) who seems like an ally, but then those men become toxic people who betray the person closest to them because some random 3rd party they barely know tells them they should be in control. :roll_eyes: Finally, the worst one - kids who do whatever they want, no matter what they are told. Ok, the lead character is 10 and was raised in the woods by an inexperienced parent. However, he puts so many other people in danger through sheer stubbornness that I wouldn’t have blamed the adults for walking off and letting him learn from consequences. There’s also Teddy Turtle, Bobby, and Wendy who take turns in the :woman_facepalming:t4: “Why won’t you listen?” crew.

1 Like
4 Likes

:thinking: Could fascist politicians and judges be categorized as celebrities? Asking for a friend who wants to help producers find a few contestants. :smiling_imp:

Chris Hemsworth Movie GIF by NETFLIX

7 Likes

What the hell is this show!?

It’s the best kind of deeply strange weirdness, count me in, too.

3 Likes

And apparently this season will tell the whole story! If it continues it will be an anthology series with a different storyline next season, I assume set in the same world?
Either way, I like being able to watch this and not having to worry about it getting cancelled!

2 Likes