Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

… cults often make for great storytelling, what with the limited casts of odd characters, the over-the-top ideas and behavior, and the built-in conflicts with the outside world :thinking:

2 Likes

This week’s episode had the line for the ages.
(Set up)
Clark has time off from superheroing, he invites the boys to go see pro wrestling in Metropolis. Jonathan lets his father down politely. Clark is dispirited. The kids turn him down to sneak out and go to a kegger party.

Jordan to Jonathan:

“Many have tried, but you are the first person to rip Superman’s heart from his chest.”

1 Like

So, I’m watching one I’ve never seen before, but heard a lot about.

TIL that Herschel Bernardi (Lieutenant Jacoby) was the voice of both the Jolly Green Giant and Charlie Tuna!

1 Like

If it’s for mental health, I’m glad Jordan Elsass is focusing on that. Last summer there were rumors about his refusing to comply with COVID vaccination requirements. While that might still be true, it might have been part of the larger issue of not wanting to come back.

Michael Bishop has been fine in the role, but they have each brought completely different energy to it. Elsass was a great contrast to the brother by his voice having this almost manic quality to it. He spoke a little faster, his voice registered just a little higher. There was this fire and ice between them. Bishop is so much calmer. It’s not a bad thing, though it does feel like a different character sometimes. Like he’s too chill to be the same guy he was last year.

1 Like

The CW superhero shows haven’t had the most consistent quality, but sometimes the writing hits you just right.

1 Like

A new heist series for your approval. Or maybe a caper series—I always get them mixed up.
Implausible, shallow but often funny, just like the name says.

Ignore the critics’ 22% rating and go with the audience’s 82%.

5 Likes

For Superman and Lois, they really have the characterizations down pretty well.
Clark being naturally a doofus in his regular life
Siblings who act like siblings and not soap opera antagonists.
Lois is the brains of the family

Even the change in acing style for Jonathan works thematically. He’s been humbled over the course of last season. He went from the center of family attention/aspirations to the increasingly neglected son. Clark spending more of his attention with Jordan and his powers.

3 Likes

oh, i definitely watched this for the title alone! then i saw Anthony Lapaglia was in it and was hooked. love that guy! and his role was certainly “florida man”.

3 Likes

So if you missed it because it was behind the Paramount+ paywall, you can now watch the first season of Star Trek : Strange New Worlds on YouTube.

7 Likes

FYI, we have a star trek thread you can also post this in!

Shocked Season 2 GIF by Paramount+

7 Likes

I couldn’t find the videos.

sad star trek GIF

Maybe the will release them soon…

star trek facepalm GIF by HULU

6 Likes

I love their dynamic. They could have gone with the obvious seething resentment Jonathan would have for Jordan’s powers and attention, but instead he’s supportive and forgiving. And Jordan could always lord his powers over his brother (and did so recently), but he’s generally understanding and avoids being a dick about it (most of the time).

But Jordan is very soapy when it comes to Sarah, which is really the CW of it all. Teen angst over a torturous will-they-won’t-they thing that only barely works because the characters are generally likable – except when they need to do things that push each other away. Not to mention the soapiness of Lana-Kyle-Chrissy and Nat falling in love with Mateo after, what, two dates? I look forward to the show every week, but I wish I could claw these parts out of the show. The Jonathan Kent switch was so under the radar in comparison, and like you said, it was almost organic.

3 Likes

I get the feeling rather than have Kyle become a mistaken antagonist of the Kent family, there will be a 5 minute sequence where Lana, Lois and Sarah give him “The Talk”. He will be a little disappointed nobody told him earlier and it will rest.

1 Like

… I like S&L better than most of The CW shows because the grownups act like grownups and they have grownup feelings and problems

1 Like

question asks GIF

Arrow had the best stunt casting for guests and villains.

Legends of Tomorrow was my fave once they embraced its inner goofball.

It’s been a while, but at the mention of the name the theme came back instantly.

:notes: Da da da da
Da da DA da… :notes:

5 Likes

I’ve been enjoying Silo. It’s well written and acted with good production quality.

6 Likes

I very much enjoyed Spider-man: Across the Spider-verse, but there’s something that I feel that audiences might want to know going in. Not quite a spoiler, more of a basic fact about the nature of the move they’re about to watch because personally I hate getting surprised about this:

The movie is part 2 of a 3-part story, and as such ends very much unresolved.

2 Likes

I’ve never actually seen the show, but the theme is deeply ingrained due to hours and hours in the arcade playing Spy Hunter.

4 Likes

The third season of Happy Valley is great so far, even though i get frustrated with what has come to seem like a slow weekly rollout of episodes.

4 Likes