What's in the box?

I know right? People might almost start to get hopeful again!!! I think many of us are a very short way from giving up on the system altogether, if the US and UK both pendulum back into sanity the ripples will be felt around the world.

6 Likes

Yup.Sanders as preznit would give Corbyn a chance as PM I hope…

2 Likes

I doubt Corbyn will be able to make PM with the entire might of the media against him… but then Scotland only missed out on Independence by a couple of percent despite a relentless negative campaign by Westminster and all of the major media outlets (including the BBC); so maybe I should never say never.

I just hope he can highlight the fact that there might be an alternative to Austerity and poorly applied Quantitative Easing.

1 Like

I think you have a mistaken notion about how politics and what it controls operate in the US. If Mr. Sanders is perceived as any kind of serious threat to the ruling class, he will simply be eliminated one way or another. But besides that, the monarchical view of the presidency is incorrect. There is a huge structure of institutions holding things in place, and the most that will be allowed to change will be style. That is, until some very serious breakdown occurs. One man or woman is not going to change everything, as we just should have learned from Mr. O. As the man said long ago, the revolution will not be televised. You have to make your own.

I’m not mistaken, because “our own” revolution is taking shape right now

3 Likes

What, and where?

1 Like

I guess I have to preface this by saying that I do hope Sanders wins the entire thing - I typically vote for Norwegian left/liberal social democrats, and he’s the both the closest realistic candidate to that, and generally seems like a good guy.

That said: When you’re picking a candidate for four super-stressful years in one of the most important positions in the world, then taking their age into consideration is completely sensible. Not in isolation, of course, but combined with general physical and mental health - after all, you’re voting for who will deliver the best full term, not just who has the best message today.

I think Bernie has it in him to deliver four solid years - but it’s not irrational to pick another candidate because you disagree. (Doing so based only on his age might be, though. )

1 Like

The thing about elections is that they are about hope for the future. Hilary doesn’t offer much - we know where she stands and a lot of her supporters disagree with a lot of where she stands. Bernie offers a lot - he’s someone the people can believe will work for change in at least some small way.

I imagine if nominated that Bernie will go the same way as Obama - hope and change and then in office…well…some good stuff, some bad stuff. The infrastructure resists change, so it’ll be gradual and incomplete. A candidacy and presidency would pull him to the center, but he’d still probably get some good stuff done.

He’d also blindside the Republican machine. Wouldn’t it be grand to see an anti-corporatist and Trump go head-to-head? Poetic, even! The hard-working politician fighting for the economically screwed and the guy out to economically screw as many people as possible in his rise to the greatest hieghts a hot-air balloon can rise to! He’d be even more effective against the Walkers and the Bushes of the world, who espouse their tiered old Objectivist economics like they can do that these days without seeming like out-of-touch buffoons.

Hilary is a good #2 choice, and she would be an effective president, but I am excited about Sanders. This is 2008 all over again. :wink:

4 Likes

Never say never (you already did). The Tories only won 36.8% of the popular vote with the rest being split amongst the other parties, Labour getting 30.4%. If we discount the UKIP share (12.6%) that leaves over 50% of the popular vote going to Labour, Green, SNP and LibDem, all of which can be considered left, which seems to mean that there was an overall swing left. A lot of the UKIP vote could also be interpreted as being anti-corporate, which means that they’re not a lost cause in the next election either and could be persuaded to vote Labour.

The corporate media (the Guardian included) is losing influence rapidly, and with Rebecca Brooks being re-instated by Murdoch I believe their credibility will wane even more.
A Sanders/Corbyn world as @redesigned says;

3 Likes

That writing on the wall right here and over there.

2 Likes

I dig how we are mixing UK and USA political squabbles all into one big mosh-pile. I am learning a few things about UK stuff that I couldn’t really get any other way, so good on ya, thanks.

5 Likes

There seems to be a lot of similarities between Jeremy Corbyn and Bernie Sanders. Both commanding huge crowds at their speeches, both popular grassroots-support, both anti-corporatist, both impeccable political records and the media flinging as much mud as they can at both with none of it sticking.

6 Likes

Rational redistribution of wealth?

What is wealth?

Do you mean money?

Can you fucking believe that shit! She was let off criminal charges because she was judged to be incompetent, and still gets her job back!? She must have some nasty stuff on her buddies Blair and Cameron.

3 Likes

Money and a whole lot of other things, both tangible and intangible, such as “ownership” and “rights.” See this link for details.

2 Likes

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: That sounds very much like New Labour in the UK.

I thought I must’ve been reading an Onion article. Had to double-check.

1 Like

That wasn’t what my post was about, but thanks, I too hope he wins. As for what your post is about, anyone already in that environment at that level likely charges themselves upon it.

While neither of us would consider age in isolation, the two candidates in question likely would die sooner out of high office than otherwise. Both are already in our societies top percentile for having to contend with that sort of pressure already, for many years.

McCain for example, while I think it’s not necessarily a good thing, is still going strong long after many though he would, what with his neck and jaws continuing to defy reason, probably due to having feet shoved in his mouth so often.

Oh boy, I hadn’t seen this… SOOoooooo obvious…

NPR has unfortunately deserved that official stamp for some time now. They’re corporate media that appeases the corporatist right like almost any other mainstream, corporate media does in many ways. They’re more progressive (reality-based) than most radio (considering fright-wing radio), but that’s not saying much. They’re socially liberal for the most part, of course, but their track record also shows a more sinister side.

Ugh… some examples:

Look, a Deficit!: How NPR Distracts You From Issues That Will Actually Affect Your Life

http://fair.org/home/look-a-deficit-how-npr-distracts-you-from-issues-that-will-actually-affect-your-life/

New NPR Boss: ‘We’re Going to Be Talking About Brands That Matter a Little Bit More’

Refusing to Take Sides, NPR Takes Sides With Torture Deniers

It’s definitely valuable to continue to point out NPR’s corporatist agenda every now and then so less progressives are fooled into thinking NPR is the liberal bastion of information it’s often portrayed as.

More to the point, there’s going to be a time in the near future where I think it’ll become so incredibly obvious even to Americans who aren’t tracking the race very closely that media like this is very purposefully attempting to mention Sanders as little as possible.

It really is getting comical at this point. The desperation is truly sinking in.

Thank you @anon62122146 for pointing out yet another ploy to keep the rest of America unaware and uninformed there’s a real challenger to the current establishment. Others and myself will be contacting NPR about this crappy coverage.

2 Likes

You are absofucktly right about Sanders and not so wrong about Hillary. The turn in her arc was her attempt at health reform. She took the opposite lesson from her time at the bottom of the dogpile as she should have. She’s been splitting the difference ever since and in a way that ensures NO RESPECT from anyone that respects issues. Power without spine is just strange. …and untrustworthy.

2 Likes