When shopping, always demand one from the back

Originally published at: When shopping, always demand one from the back | Boing Boing

2 Likes

This is the primary reason I don’t use grocery delivery services. I don’t want brown bananas and expired yogurt.

5 Likes

also 3 broken eggs out of every dozen

3 Likes

“It’s stale Bro”, the name of my forthcoming book.

17 Likes

Your book of jokes, I presume?

(Kidding! I love your humor.)

15 Likes

Dude was easily fooled, but being extra careful about what I buy is a habit that I try to maintain.

7 Likes

For milk, I buy the ultra high temperature pasteurized variety. It has a much greater shelf life than the regular house brand.

6 Likes

Do Swisher Sweets get stale when sealed like that?

Real handrolled cigars just age and mellow, as long as you keep them about the right temp and humidity.

1 Like

Grocery delivery, perhaps not. But I’m using direct-to-door farm delivery and we love it. Fresh milk, half-n-half, eggs, cheese once a week, and all in reusable containers (glass bottles for the liquids). Much as I liked the length of time ultra-pasteurized products lasted, I won’t go back.

8 Likes

At my supermarket, they load the milk racks from behind and there’s usually only a day or so difference.

The ones I get currently expire in November.

2 Likes

Produce is the one thing that has driven me to go indoors with the other people this entire ordeal. (I need to go to the dentist though; can’t push that off forever.)

1 Like

For milk, I buy the ultra high temperature pasteurized variety.

The stuff that doesnt need to be refrigerated? That’s not milk, bro, that’s reconstituted library paste.

2 Likes

I don’t worry about this nonsense.
In my experience everything lasts longer than It says it will,
and I really have no interest in sticking my fellow shoppers with inferior product.

When form factor counts I ask for matching whatever.
If I’m making mousse or custard I ask for the tattered bits.

5 Likes

Really. Here are the labels.

Same here, kind of. One of the very positive things to come out of this whole plague is that farmers in the state joined together to create an online marketplace. You can order from farms all over the state (multiple dairy/cheese options, meats, mushrooms, produce, preserves, fermented stuff, flour, honey, baked goods, you name it) and either designate a pick-up location or pay a bit more and get it delivered to your door. We always tried to buy local in the summer, but now we’ve shifted to probably 80 - 90% local year round.

6 Likes

Can confirm. I get Amazon Fresh all the time and while produce is generally pretty good, packaged goods can be a crap shoot. Will this milk expire in over a month, or tomorrow? Is this cheese months past its expiration date? Is this bread not past its sell by date but still moldy? Is this even the item I actually ordered? I feel like I’ve seen every fuck up possible getting groceries delivered since the start of the pandemic.

At least when things like this do happen Amazon will refund the items no questions asked but then I end up having to go to the store anyway which is precisely what I was trying to avoid.

3 Likes

These people are known in certain circles as “Milk Maids.”

8 Likes

But - why was he recording before the guy even makes the request? It’s either staged, or he’s a habitual “give me one from the back” guy. I’m thinking the former.

Nice, that sounds like an improvement over what we’re doing. Just the one farm that’s local and delivering for us. No complaints, but a wider variety of stuff would be nice.

2 Likes

Jealous!

Any chance they’ve got links to similar networks in other states?

3 Likes