When unvaxxed dad screams at NY pizzeria for not letting him in, customers react in the best way

Ooh, that’s how the Original Gino’s Pizza in my hometown does it, and every so often I miss it…

14 Likes

In Pequods in Chicago (well, Morton Grove) you can get a deep-dish done inside of the detroit-style crust. They’ve been using the same pans there for 40 years.

10 Likes

You know, if I’m in greater Chicagoland, I’m gonna stick to pies the area is good at. :wink: We have a lot of local chains in the metro Detroit area and most have a decent Detroit pizza on the menu. :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

He’s not wrong about Pequod’s though!

Maybe the Morton Grove location has an additional offering, but the original one in Chicago just has flat and pan pizzas, with the crispy cheese at the edges.

Hard to get a seat, any time of the day, even though it’s not in a pedestrian-trafficked area. It really is stellar.

12 Likes

The name of that place is tempting me to order a white pizza with garlic and seafood toppings… :drooling_face:

8 Likes

Morton Grove is the original with the Chicago location opening in the '90s. The original is a converted house in a residential neighborhood.

The original owner had another location called “Burts Place”. He would cook 100 pizzas a day, and when they were sold he closed the door and that was it. See you tomorrow!

12 Likes

I did not know that origin story…thanks!

How odd that it started in a suburban residential area. I’m going to have to look it up.

Is the parking any better near the Morton Grove location? Might be worth the drive!

10 Likes

It’s street parking in a residential area so you may have to walk a block, but I haven’t found it too bad, even in summer pre-covid. There is another restaurant nearby who will firmly remind you that they are NOT a parking lot for pequods!

ETA: I’m pretty sure Pequod’s was Burts actual house. Here you can see how close the two locations are

10 Likes

If you don’t want to take any chances, DO NOT go to Gino’s East. Yes, it’s quite popular, but when I was taking my Food Service and Sanitation certificate course for the restaurant I was working at, they were the ones most often cited in the instructor’s news files about poor sanitation practices. From what she told us, it’s tourists who don’t know any better that make it popular.

11 Likes

Not the same pizza at all. “Sicilian” pizza is thin-crust. Detroit-style better be a minimum of 3/4” deep or GTFO.

10 Likes

Can confirm! Definitely one to avoid for BOTH reasons: hygiene and tourists.

12 Likes

Every pizzeria I’ve every been at (and with work travel, that’s been all over the US) that had a pizza that they referred to has “sicillian style” had a thick crust. Thicker than the typical “pan” pizza. Thicker than anything else I’ve seen besides “chicago-style deep-dish” which I think should be discounted, because it’s an abomination.

For that matter, the picture you posted appears to have a crust 3/4 inch thick. (much taller than the width of the olives) and much thicker than that in the center.

And according to every definition/description of sicilian style, it says its very thick.

You are entitled to your wrong opinion.

8 Likes

I like squid on many things but the texture doesn’t work in pizza.

3 Likes

Not much definition around it, it seems, since everywhere I’ve had Sicilian pizza, it was rectangular sheet pan pizza. Not thick.

One thing I can state with absolute certainty is that Sicilian pizza <> Detroit-style pizza.

5 Likes

“Galt’s Gastropub is the worst. There was no tomato sauce because no one paid the distributor and we got food poisoning from their Health Department exemption. Zero stars; would not go again.”

9 Likes

Shhhh, you’ll scare the conservatives.

3 Likes

For example, coffins are a great place to hide out or those cute little urns they give you at the crematorium.

1 Like

I’m sure those are temporary problems.

“Galt’s Gastropub is so great. Good service, friendly people, and of course food. I and fellow Americans go there all the time for supper eating. Take it for a test drive and you’ll agree. 5/5 stars -realusaguy49”

There, see? The free market took care of it, and now the reviews are great.

7 Likes

I’ve had thick-crust “Sicilian” pizza (which doesn’t match the description in your link), and it is very much not the same thing as Detroit pizza. At a minimum, there’s this key difference: the sauce in Sicilian pizza is applied directly onto the crust, between the crust and the cheese (if any–according to that link, they might only grate hard cheese on it, and no mozzarella is used). The sauce on a Detroit style pizza is applied on top of the cheese.

2 Likes